Recipe Source: Solai’s True Chettinad Kitchen
For The Vegetarian Fish:
Thattai Payaru / Cow Peas-1/2cup
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp
Oil-For Deep Fry
For The Gravy:
Tamarind-Gooseberry sized ball
Curry Leaves-a sprig
1. Wash the cow peas and grind it in a mixer grinder to just break it apart. Do not add water.
2. Soak this broken cow peas in water for 1 hour.
3. Add garlic, salt and red chilly powder and grind it to a fine paste with out adding water.
4. Cut banana leaf into rectangles.
5. Apply the paste on the leaf and fold it into half.
6. Steam cook these folded leaves for 10minutes.
7. Carefully remove the leaf and cut them into pieces to resemble fish pieces.
8. Heat oil and deep fry the pieces till golden brown.
9. Chop onions, tomato and garlic.
10. Heat oil and add mustard, fennel and methi seeds. When splutters add curry leaves.
11. Add garlic, green chillies and onions and saute till golden.
12. Add tomato and saute till done.
13. Extract juice from tamarind. Mix sambar powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
14. Add this mixture to the onions.
15. Add salt to taste. When it starts boiling, simmer until the gravy thickens slightly.
16. Add the fried vegetarian fish pieces to the gravy, bring to boil and switch off flame.
17. Enjoy with rice.
|Thattai Payaru / Cow Peas|
|Break them in a mixer|
|Soak and grind along with other ingredients|
|Apply on a banana leaf|
|Fold it into half|
|Cut into two|
|Deep fry and use in gravy|