Steph of Stephfood challenged The Daring Cooks to prepare home made noodles and pasta. There are so many recipes and methods for preparing pasta at home. I tried German Spaetzle (pronounced as Shpeht-Slee) with mint flavour. I also prepared it eggless.
There are various methods of preparing spaetzles. One instrument resembled the murukku press. So I used a murukku press to press out the dough. The dough should be soft to get soft spaetzles. If not, they will come out harder. It came out so delicious and the preparation time is also very less compared to noodles and other pasta.
For The Spaetzle:
Maida / All Purpose Flour-1cup
For The Bread Crumb Sauce:
Fresh Bread Crumbs-1/4cup
Ginger-a small piece
1. Mix all the ingredients given for spaetzle. The dough will be very soft and sticky.
2. Boil enough water in a large vessel.
3. Add 2tsp olive oil in it.
4. Take the dough in a murukku press and press out into the boiling water. Cut it into small pieces while pressing out.
5. The spaetzles will come to the top. Let it boil for 2 minutes. Do not boil it longer because it makes the spaetzles hard.
6. Drain it into a metal sieve and wash with cold water to avoid sticking of spaetzles. Let it cool.
7. Grind mint, garlic, ginger and green chillies into a coarse paste.
8. Heat oil and add onion. Saute till golden brown.
9. Add the paste and saute till the mixture becomes dry and raw smell has vanished.
10. Add the bread crumbs,salt and oregano and saute for a minute on low flame.
11. Add the prepared spaetzles and mix gently.
12. Serve hot.
|Soft and sticky dough|
|Press out from the murukku press|
|Let it boil|
|Drain on a metal strainer|