This is my first Daring Cooks Challenge. Jenn from Jenn Cuisine and Jill (jillouci) challenged us to prepare poached eggs. I didn’t know what to do, because I am a vegetarian and I don’t use eggs. Then after reading the whole post I saw that they have given a recipe for the vegetarians. That was poached seitan. Wondering about this? When I first read about it I was tensed about preparing it. This is also called as wheat meat. It is a substitute of meat and it is 100% vegan. This is also called gluten , wheat gluten or mock meat. This when used in a dish resembles meat so it is a very popular substitute of meat. This can be used in pizzas, sanwiches, and every recipe using meat.This can be prepared using vital gluten flour or atta. As I didn’t get vital gluten flour here I used wheat flour to prepare it. As an experiment I used half a cup of flour and prepared seitan. Guess what? I succeeded. Then I used 500gm and tried to prepare it. Guess again? It was a flop. I washed out everything including the gluten. Then I realised my mistake. I used a vegetable strainer. That was the mistake. Then I used a fine meshed strainer and the result was a wonderful gluten. Now as I am confident of preparing gluten/seitan I am going to prepare some wonderful dishes for my hubby. Today I am giving the whole process to prepare seitan. I should thank the daring kitchen team for introducing such a nice stuff into my recipe diary. Hope you enjoy.
- Mix all the ingredients given for sietan to a firm dough.
- Let it rest for 1 hour.
- In a wide bowl take water. Keep a strainer into the water.
- Drop the dough into the strainer and start washing it.
- The starch will be separated from the dough and the water will become milky.
- Change water and repeat process till the water becomes white.
- Again change water and repeat process until the gluten is completely separated from the starch.
- In a white cloth place the gluten and roll the cloth and tie the ends. Keep it a little loose because the sietan expands when poaching.
- In a rice cooker add all the ingredients given for poaching liquid.
- Let it boil for 45minutes.
- Place the cloth roll inside the liquid and let it boil for 1 hour.
- The seitan will become hard to touch.
- Remove from liquid and let it cool.
- Remove seitan from cloth and make thin slices.
- In a pan heat oil and add cloves and tomatoes.
- Saute till the tomatoes are mashed.
- Add salt, red chilly and coriander powder.
- Cook till the raw smell vanishes.
- Grind it to a fine paste.
- Serve with the poached seitans.
|Prepare firm dough|
|Keep the fine strainer in a wide bowl of water|
|Keep the dough inside the strainer|
|Wash it to remove starch|
|You can see the starch seperating from gluten|
|When the water becomes milky change it|
|When water is clear you get an elasticised gluten|
|Keep it in a white cloth|
|Roll the cloth loosely|
|Tie the ends|
|In a rice cooker add the vegetables|
|After 45 minutes add the gluten roll|
|After 1 hour it will be bigger and firm to touch|
|When cool remove from cloth|
|Slice it up|
|Serve with sauce|