This is a delicious gravy which suits chapathi, poori, parotta or naan. Yesterday I didn’t have any vegetables at home and I was going through the fridge and wow! there were paneer cubes in the freezer compartment from my previous project(homemade paneer) So I decided to do something with tjose pieces. I was searching for a recipe with paneer in my cook book and there I saw Paneer Kuruma. It is a Tamil Cook Book presented to every bride by their mother in our community. The book is PAAVAIARKKANA PALSUVAI MALAR. We call it as thoothukudi book. I prepared the dish as given in that book and my hubby liked it a lot. Now to the recipe………
Paneer– prepared from 1 lt milk
Potato-250gm(peeled and cut into small cubes)
Coconut-2cups(extract milk twice and keep them separate)
Cumin seeds and saunf-1tsp each
For the paste:
Ginger-a small piece
Cinnamon-a small piece
- Deep fry paneer in oil till glden brown. Remove from oil and drop them into water. This keeps paneer cubes soft.
- Roast cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in 1tsp ghee and add the other ingredients for the masala paste and grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat oil and add cumin and saunf. When they crackle add onion and sauté till golden brown
- Add the masala paste and cook it till the raw smell is gone and oil is separated
- Add tomatoes, potatoes and the second coconut milk. Add turmeric powder and salt.
- When it boils keep the flame low and cook the potatoes. When they are cooked to 75% add the paneer cubes and first milk of coconut.
- Keep flame low and cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapathi or roti.
|When golden brown remove from oil and drop into water|
|Grind coconut and filter it through a sieve to get first milk|
|Repeat process to get second milk|
|Add masala paste, tomato and second milk|
|Add paneer and first milk|
|Ready to eat|