This is a delicious side dish made with cabbage and moong dhal. The secret of getting the poriyal wit separate grains of dhal lies in boiling. Never pressure cook the dhal because it turn mushy. Bring water and dhal to boil. Allow it to boil for 1/2 minute and add the thinly slices cabbage. Again boil this mixture for 1/2 minute and drain. This will result in beautiful poriyal.
Cabbage -250gm (cut to thin slices)
Salt- to taste
- Boil water and add moong dhal. Let it boil for3o seconds.
- Now add the thinly chopped cabbage.
- Let it boil for 30 seconds. Switch off stove and filter water through a strainer.
- Heat 1tsp oil. Crackle mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onion and green chillies and sauté till golden brown.
- Add salt and cabbage-dhal mixture. Mix well and switch off flame.
- Add coconut and mix well and transfer to a serving dish.