Last week when we visited Uzhavar Sandhai/ Farmer’s Market, we saw a man selling strawberries on the roadside. Usually we get strawberries only in supermarkets and it costs nearly 90 INR for a small box. And half the box will be wasted as the fruits sold are very old. But this roadside seller had fresh fruits and sold it for 50 INR. It was nearly half the rate but the strawberries were fresh. I know that the strawberries we get here are not sweet but at least they were not rotten. So I bought three boxes home. I was aiming on preparing icecream and jam. My first work was to prepare the puree. For the three boxes, I got 3 cups of puree. I used one cup for the icecream and the remaining two cups were used up for the jam.
This icecream recipe is not the usual recipe which uses cream. This uses condensed milk. The texture is quite different from the usual icecream but it tastes absolutely delicious. It also doesn’t need hour by hour whisking and blending. And it doesnot melt fast. And it is so so so creamy. The strawberry icecream we get in stores doesn’t use real fruits and it is only essence. The taste of fresh strawberry icecream is so much different from the store bought ones. Even though the strawberries were sour, the icecream turned out very nice. So if you can get a box of strawberries, don’t forget to make this icecream.
Condensed Milk-1 tin
Strawberry Puree-1 cup
Corn Flour-1 tbs
1. Remove the leaves of strawberries and slice it up into small pieces.
2. Run them through the blender to get the puree.
3. Now mix 2 tbs of milk with corn flour and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining milk along with condensed milk and strawberry puree in a heavy bottomed pan.
5. As the mixture has condensed milk, it burns very fast. So keep on stirring the mixture until it comes to boil.
6. Add the corn flour milk mixture to the boiling milk and cook until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
7. Allow it to cool completely.
8. Pour into a plastic box and place it in freezer.
9. After 2 hours, break down the icecream with a fork and whisk it lightly.
10. Allow it to freeze overnight.
11. Remove the icecream 1/2 an hour before serving.
12. Let it sit on counter for half an hour.
13. Use a scoop to scoop out ice cream.
14. Serve along with a topping of your choice. I added a bit of strawberry jam.
How is this? Perfect for this scorching sun, right??
Who wants a bowl????