For the last two days I have been posting dumplings and today is the third one under Dallying with Dumplings for the Blogging Marathon #30 Week 2. As per instructions given by Srivalli, we need to use three different types of cooking for the three days. So for the first day I made deep fried Turkish dumplings and for the second day I made boiled Italian dumplings. And for the third day I am going with a Tamil Nadu special, kozhukkattai which is steam cooked. Those who don’t know about kozhukkattai, here is a small introduction. It is a dumpling made with rice flour. We either add ingredients to the dough and steam cook it or make outer dough with rice flour and fill it with savory or sweet fillings. These are also either boiled or steamed. There are so many varieties of kozhukkattai and today I give you my favourite spicy kozhukkattai. They are soft and spicy and are apt for evening snacks.
Rice Flour-1 cup
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Mustard Urad Dhal-1 tsp
Asafoetida/ Hing-a pinch
Curry Leaves-2 sprigs
Coriander Leaves-4-5 tbs
1. Heat oil and add mustard, urad dhal and hing. When they crackle add curry leaves.
2. Add chopped onions and green chillies.
3. Saute until golden.
4. Add coconut, coriander leaves, salt and water.
5. When the water starts boiling, add the rice flour and remove from flame.
6. Stir it vigorously until the flour is fully incorporated in water.
7. Allow this mixture to cool.
8. When cool, knead it into a smooth dough.
9. Divide it into 24 equal balls.
10. Place each ball in the palm and press the four fingers against the ball.
11. Arrange the kozhukkattai in a steamer.
12. Steam cook for 15 minutes.
13. Remove the steamer and allow it to cool.
14. Serve the kozhukkattai as an evening snack.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#30