Today is the first day of Blogging Marathon#22, Week 3 and I will be posting under cooking with chickpeas for three days. I saw this recipe at tarladalal.com. This is inspired by Lebanese cooking and it also uses Baharat powder-a spice powder used in Arab countries which is equivalent of our garam masala powder. All the members of the family are suffering from severe cold and this soup soothed the sour throat. It is spicy and hot and is perfect for this chilly weather. I served it along with crackers and it was very filling soup as it has chick peas and potato cubes.
Recipe adapted from Tarla Dalal
Ghee- 1 tbs
Soaked Chickpeas-1/2 cup
Baharat Powder- 1/2 tsp
Pepper Powder-to taste
Tomato Puree-1 tbs
Lemon Juice-1 tsp
Coriander Leaves-1/3 cup
1. In a pressure cooker, heat ghee.
2. Add the cardamom and let it crackle.
3. Add finely chopped garlic and onions and saute until translucent.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes. Saute for a minute.
5. Add peeled and cubed potato and chickpeas.
6. Add salt and baharat powder along with a cup of water.
7. Close the cooker, put on weight and allow pressure to build.
8. Cook for 5 minutes under pressure. ( When the first whistle comes, swoitch flame to low and cook for 5 minutes)
9. Remove cooker from flame and allow the pressure to go down.
10. Open the lid, add 2 cups of water and tomato puree.
11. Bring it to boil. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
12. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
13. Remove from flame and serve hot along with crackers or bread sticks.
Check out the marathoners running this 22nd edition of blogging marathon here.