After a halt at Maharashtra, we now travel to Manipur, which is one of the seven sister states of India. It shares it boundaries with Nagaland, Mizoram, Assam and Burma. From the beginning of the planning for this Blogging Marathon, the seven sister states have posed a great problem to us bloggers. It was so difficult to find authentic recipes and most of them found online were non vegetarian. Manipuris use fish a lot. And their dishes are simple and seasonal.
When I was going through some Manipuri blogs, I came across this simple side dish. I loved the simplicity and the unique combination of bitter gourd and potatoes in this dish. After amking it once, hubby dear and myself loved it so much that when ever I get some bitter gourd, I end up making this. It was a perfect side dish for curd rice. Though the original recipe didn’t have turmeric, I couldn’t skip it. It gives a nice colour to the dish.
Recipe Source: Bachelor Cooking
Bitter Gourd-2 medium sized
Potato-2 medium sized
Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
2. When they splutter add onions and green chillies. Saute until golden.
3. Add the sliced bitter gourd and thinly sliced potatoes.
4. Add salt and red chilly powder and keep on stirring on medium low flame until done.
5. Do not add water or cover the pan to cook. The vegetables must be roasted in oil.
6. When the veggies are done, remove from pan and trasnfer to a serving bowl.
7. Serve it hot with rice..