Eggless Orange Cake Recipe is a show stopper made with beautiful candied orange embedded on top of the juicy moist cake.
This is an upside orange cake recipe, where you line the bottom of the tin with candied orange and pour the batter on top. Once baked and flipped, the cake turns out so gorgeous with beautifully studded with orange slices on top.
Eggless Orange Cake Recipe – Points to be Noted
The recipe is divided into two parts. First is the preparation of candied orange slices and next is the cake batter. Candied orange slice takes 15 minutes of cooking time and the cake takes another 40-50 minutes.
The syrup used for cooking the candied orange is later used as the soaking syrup for the cake. So the cake turns out with a strong orange flavour. And it tastes just amazing.
Once baked, allow the cake to cool for 20-30 minutes before adding the syrup. And cover the tin with cling film and set aside until it is cool to touch. This way the cake won’t dry out and will absorb the syrup evenly while cooling.
If you are planning for a show stopper for a party or potluck without whipping up any frosting, then this would be a good choice for you. I have used four oranges, two for the candied orange, and two for the juice and zest.
To get a glossy finish, brush the top of the cake with the remaining syrup. It gives a good shine.
I also made a short video showing the process of making the candied orange and how to assemble it in the pan. I have it posted in instagram. Take a look at it if you prefer to learn visually.
I also made this Lemon Poppy Seeds Pound cake at the same time as this orange cake. And it also is pretty amazing. If you are interested in the recipe, please click on the image below.
Here is one more Orange cake which is so full of flavour. Check the Eggless Sicilian Orange Cake recipe by clicking on the image below.
I also have a huge collection of delicious Eggless teacakes which you can find in the page below. Click on the image to visit the page.
Eggless Orange Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 200 gm Maida
- 150 gm Granulated Sugar
- 100 gm Milk Powder
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Zest of one Orange
- 150 ml Fresh Orange Juice
- 150 ml Milk
- 100 gm Melted Butter
For the Candied Orange:
- 150 g Sugar
- 150 ml Water
- 2 Oranges
- Bring together sugar and water for the candied orange to a boil.
- Slice the orange and add it to the boiling syrup.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Add zest of orange to granulated sugar and grind it into a fine powder.
- In a bowl, mix together maida, powdered sugar, milk powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add melted butter, orange juice, milk and vanilla essence.
- Mix to form smooth batter.
- Grease a 7” square tin with butter.
- Arrange the candied orange slices at the bottom.
- Pour the batter on top of the arranged orange slices.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour half the orange syrup that was used make candied orange on the cake and let it cool completely.
- Flip the cake on a serving plate, remove the tin.
- Brush the top with the remaining syrup.
- Slice it up and serve.