Eggless Lemon Poppyseeds Cake is a dense moist cake that has a tight crumb, perfect to be serve as an evening cake with a cup of coffee.
Lemon poppy seeds cake is a classic pound cake usually made with eggs. I have been trying to replicate pound cakes for a long time now. One of the base recipes which comes real close to the pound cake is the eggless cake I make with milk powder as an ingredient.
There is one more recipe I made with protein powder, which gives perfect results, but that would be for another day. This recipe makes the cake very much similar to the real deal.
Eggless Lemon Poppyseeds Cake – Components
This cake has three different components. The main cake, the sugar syrup and the glaze. You need to make the cake first, allow it to cool. Make the syrup next, pour on the room temperature cake and set it aside for minimum 4 hours. Mix the glaze, pour on the cake and set aside until it sets firm. Now you can slice it and enjoy.
Read the recipe carefully and plan the baking accordingly. I started it early morning and finished the glaze by evening. Or you can even pour the syrup and let it sit overnight. Next day, add glaze and serve. It is completely up to you.
Black poppy seeds can be sourced from Amazon. I can find only one vendor and it is quite expensive compared to the regular poppy seeds. But they add so much texture and beauty to the cake. If you are not into spending much fort a cake, just omit the poppy seeds and try.
If you like to see a short video of how to make this lemon cake, please check it out in Instagram. I have uploaded it. It would help you visualize the recipe.
Eggless Lemon Poppyseeds Cake
For the cake:
- 200 g Maida
- 150 g Granulated Sugar
- 100 g Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of two lemons
- 2 tbs Black Poppy Seeds
- 300 ml Milk
- 100 g Melted Butter
For the Syrup:
- 50 g Sugar
- 50 ml Water
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
For the Glaze
- 100 g Icing Sugar
- 1-2 tbs Lemon Juice
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Add zest of lemon to granulated sugar and grind it into a fine powder.
- In a bowl, mix together maida, powdered sugar, milk powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add poppy seeds and mix well.
- Add melted butter, lemon juice, milk and vanilla essence.
- Mix to form smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a 7.5″ loaf tin which is greased and lined with parchment.
- Take room temperature butter in a piping bag and make a line of butter in the centre of the cake batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for five minutes on the rack.
- Flip it onto the wire rack, remove the parchment and flip it back so that the top of the cake remains on the top.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Mix together sugar, water, zest and lemon juice and bring to boil.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Place the loaf cake in the same tin as you baked. Pour the warm syrup all over the cake including the sides.
- Cover with cling film and set aside for 3-4 hours.
- Mix the icing sugar, zest and lemon juice to make a thick glaze of dropping consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, top with some slivered pistachios and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes or until the glaze is dry to touch.
- Slice it up and serve.