Gulab Jamun Cake Recipe is an amazing fusion cake recipe made with fine semolina and is soaked in syrup and studded with Gulab Jamuns.
I am a sucker for fusion desserts using gulab jamuns. If you are following me for a long time, you might know about this. I even include them in my classes.
Even though I have done gulab jamun cake with mix, I wanted to make a semolina based cake without the mix, and here you go. It turned out so amazing. The cake itself has little sugar and the needed sweetness will be balanced with the sugar syrup.
I also wanted to add the gulab jamuns as topping for this cake. If you have baked cakes with gulab jamuns, you might know that they sink immediately into the batter.
To avoid it, I placed the gulab jamuns on a partially baked cake. It held beautifully and the result also turned out so pretty. You can even serve it with rabdi to increase the richness. Let me know in comments or in social media if you try this.
As usual, I made a short video on how to make this Gulab Jamun Cake Recipe. Check the video on my Instagram page and follow me, if you haven’t done it yet. i try to share a lot of my recipes in Instagram before it hits the blog.
How to Enjoy Gulab Jamun Cake
Even though you can serve a slice as it is, to make it more sophisticated, check out the video below. This would definitely get you lots of accolades from your near and dear ones.
Gulab Jamun Dessert Idea
Gulab jamuns can be used in a variety of fusion desserts and one of them is this cake box. I combined tres leches cake and gulab jamun and rabdi to create this fantastic dessert. If interested, take a look at the post by clicking on the image.
I also have an easy to make Gulab Jamun mix cake, which is pretty famous among my readers. So if you have a pack of gulab jamun mix and don’t want to make the gulab jamuns, then try this recipe. You won’t regret it. Click on the image to read the recipe.
Gulab Jamun Cake Recipe – Making Gulab Jamuns
The hero of the recipe – Gulab Jamuns can be made either at home or can be sourced at stores. I have two amazing recipes for Gulab jamun and I have shared the recipe links below.
The first one is made with milk powder and the second one is made with mawa. Both are equally good, soft and syrupy. Click on the respective image to read the recipes.
Gulab Jamun Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 150 gm Chiroti Rava
- 50 gm Maida/ All-purpose Flour
- 50 gm Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 150 ml Milk
- 100 ml Ghee
- 50 ml Curd/ Yogurt
- Rose Essence a few drops
- 9 Gulab Jamuns
- Slivered Pistachios
For the Sugar Syrup
- 75 gm Sugar
- 75 ml Water
- Rose Essence a few drops
- 150 ml Gulab Jamun syrup
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Grease a 5” square tin and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine semolina, flour, sugar, baking powder and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add ghee, milk, curd and rose essence and mix well to form thick batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and bake the cake for 10 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and place the gulab jamuns on top of the batter.
- Add slivered pistachios on top and bake for 20 minutes.
- By the time the cake is baking, mix together sugar, water and bring it to boil. Add rose essence and allow it to cool down.
- Take the cake out of the oven and prick all over the cake with a tooth pick.
- Pour the cooled syrup on top of the cake evenly. The cake will absorb the syrup immediately.
- Set it aside until the cake cools down completely.
- Cover with foil and set aside 4-8 hours before slicing.
- Use a sharp knife, slice the cake and gently lift it out of the tin.
- Serve it with more mini gulab jamun and extra syrup.