Eggless Dundee Cake recipe is an easy breezy fruit cake to make for Christmas this year. The best thing about this cake is that, it doesn’t need any soaking or maturing. Make the cake, cool it and taste immediately and it tastes just wonderful.
This year, I have been on a Plum cake baking spree. I also did an Eggless Plum cake masterclass for Christmas. But I wanted to make an easy cake this year for our personal treat. And I also got some recipe requests from readers for an eggless Dundee cake. So here you go.
As with other recipes, I couldn’t get it right on my first try. It took two tries to finally find the perfect combination of ingredients to get the texture and look right. So we have two cakes for us to devour.
Eggless Dundee Cake Recipe – How is it different from Plum cake
Dundee cake is from Dundee in Scotland and it is quite different from a regular plum cake for so many reasons. The major difference is that we won’t be soaking fruits for this cake. Dry fruits are added as it is in the batter. IT saves a lot of time and effort. Also most of the recipes don’t use alcohol. But i also saw some that uses brandy/ rum in the batter.
It has marmalade, zest of orange and orange peel in the batter, which provides an amazing citrus flavour to the cake. Golden and black raisins are used for dry fruits. I also added some tutti frutti, but you can use any type of dry fruit in the batter.
The beautiful decoration on top of the cake with blanched almonds adds to the beauty of the final cake. The texture of the cake is also not too heavy. All in all this is one cake you need to try at least once.
Eggless Dundee Cake Recipe is more like a tea cake. And it is said to be the favourtie of Queen of Scots. You can serve it with a cup of coffee or tea and it tastes just wonderful in this chilly weather. Making an egg free version was quite easier after so many cakes I have tried. I used buttermilk in the recipe
You can also try milk+ vinegar instead of butter milk. If using curd, dilute it with some water before adding to the batter. Use both filaments and bake at 160C. Depending on the size of the cake, it takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes to bake. Cover with aluminium foil if the cake browns too fast.
Here is whole wheat plum cake recipe if you want a different version. Click on the image for recipe
Check one of my easy to make fruit cake, which is also quite different from plum cake and tastes amazing. Click on the image for recipe.
Eggless Dundee Cake Recipe
- 90 gm Butter
- 90 gm Light brown sugar
- 2 tbs Orange Marmalade
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 110 gm Maida
- 50 gm Almond meal
- ¾ tsp Baking Powder
- 110 ml Buttermilk
- 230 gm Mixed Dry Fruits
- 20 gm Candied Orange Peel
- 25 gm Milk powder
- 30 ml Milk
- 75 gm Blanched Almonds
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- In a bowl, combine maida, almond meal, baking powder, milk powder and mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and light brown sugar.
- Add zest and marmalade and whisk until incorporated.
- Add the butter milk little by little and beat together. The mix might look curdled, but it is completely fine.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold everything together.
- Add a tsp of flour to the dry fruits and peel mix and mix well.
- Add it to the batter and fold them together.
- Finally add milk and mix well.
- Transfer the batter to a 7” lined and greased round tin. Decorate the top of the cake with blanched almonds.
- Bake the cake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack, flip the cake, remove the butter paper and flip it back on to a serving plate.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the cake into wedges.
- Remaining cake can be wrapped in cling film and stored in airtight box for two days at room temperature.