Eggless garlic rolls recipe is very easy to make and results in beautiful braided rolls perfect for individual servings.
I have been posting lots of bread recipes nowadays as I am so addicted to bread baking. Also the cake recipes I make all go for class videos, so couldn’t share any of those here. But planning to bake a cake soon. let me see how it goes.
I made these rolls for a live session in a baking group in FB. And I wanted to share the same with my readers too. So uploaded a short video of the making in Instagram. If you want to know the whole procedure, please watch the video in Insta. I am embedding it here. If you are not yet following me in Instagram, please take your time to follow. I will be sharing lots of recipes as well as my experiments there.
When I first planned to make garlic rolls, I didn’t want to stick with the regular shaping. Wanted to do something fancy and came up with this in social media. They usually use this shaping for cinnamon rolls. I gave a twist and made savoury garlic rolls instead.
But if you wish, you can just shape them into small rolls or knots instead of braiding. These tiny breads look super cute and also so buttery and yum. When I did the live session, so many group members tried this recipe and shared it over there.
If you are trying, let me know in comments or tag me in social media. I would be delighted to see your creations.
I am using a stand mixer to prepare the dough, but you can also knead it by hand. It takes 7-8 minutes in a mixer, but if kneading by hand, knead it for 10-12 minutes until the dough passes the window pane test.
While adding liquid, start with lesser quantity and add only if needed. This is because every flour absorbs liquid differently. So your dough might need more or less than the liquid given in the recipe. It is always safer to start with less and add only if needed.
You can bake these in a muffin tin or bake and serve paper liners or in silicon moulds. Use whichever tin or liner you have. There is nothing fancy about the dough or preparation.
Eggless Garlic Rolls Recipe – Ingredients
As for the flour used, it can be either whole wheat flour/ maida/ bread flour. Keep close watch on the liquid added. As these are tiny rolls, you don’t need vital wheat gluten if using whole wheat flour. Just the flour will work great. As for filling, I have kept it simple, but if you want, you can add grated cheese along to make it rich.
I also have used instant yeast which is directly added to the flour. But if using dry yeast, use same quantity, but take 1/4 cup of water from the recipe itself, heat until lukewarm, prove the dry yeast and then add it to the flour. You can also use any herb you like, either dry or fresh.
The link for ingredients used in the recipe. Click on the name to buy it.
Also check out my previous Beetroot bread. It will help you baking an amazing sandwich loaf. Click on the image to view recipe.
Eggless Garlic Rolls Recipe
For The Bread Dough:
- 325 gm Maida / All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 200 ml Milk
- 50 gm Butter
For The Garlic Parsley Butter:
- 40 gm Butter
- 2 tsp Grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp Parsley
- In a bowl, combine together milk, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Add flour and bring everything together to a soft dough consistency.
- Add butter and mix everything well.
- Knead the dough on your counter for 10 minutes or in a stand mixer for 7 minutes.
- Once the dough is smooth, soft and pliable, transfer to a bowl, coat it with oil and cover with cling film.
- Set aside until double in volume.
- Mix together grated garlic, melted butter and parsley and set aside.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle. Apply the garlic butter evenly on top.
- Now holding the longer side, fold the dough into a half.
- Now cut twelve equal stripes out of the dough.
- Take each stripe, keeping one edge intact, make two slits to the bottom.
- Braid each stripe.
- Now roll the braid making sure that the end is tucked into the bottom.
- Place this in a greased muffin tray.
- Repeat for all the remaining stripes.
- Cover the tray and set aside until nearly doubled.
- Preheat the oven at the same time to 200C.
- Brush the top of the rolls with milk and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
- Serve it hot out of oven.