Eggless Buttermilk Fruit Cake is a delicious easy to make fruit cake when you are short of soaked dry fruits for making the traditional cake.
As December started, blogosphere is full of plum cakes. I have some good plum cake recipes in the blog, but they are kind of elaborate. You need to make caramel syrup and do some cooking before making the batter.
So I was contemplating on an easier recipe to use for beginners. This is one recipe I tried years back but completely forgot till now. So I was checking my blog yesterday and came across the recipe. As I was inexperienced, I just made the cake and served it on the same day. So I remember that it didn’t have that Christmas flavour.
So this time, I decided to make a video and made the cake. I also let it mature for a day before slicing and I was so happy when I tasted the crumbs. It was just fantastic and so much like my other plum cakes with very little work. So if you are a beginner or pressed for time, try this recipe. It will work wonders.
Eggless Buttermilk Fruit Cake – How does it differ from traditional plum cake
The major difference between this cake and traditional plum cake are as follows
No soaking of dry fruits needed. The dry fruits are added as it is, so even if you don’t have the soaked fruits, no need to worry.
No caramel syrup needed. Usually caramel syrup is made separately and the fruits are cooked to give the plum cake a deep colour and flavour. This cake is mild so you don’t need a syrup. But as we use brown sugar, you still get a darker cake.
No alcohol or orange juice needed. Even in no soak plum cakes, we add either alcohol or orange juice for flavour. This cake is a quick plum cake which doesn’t need alcohol or orange juice in the batter.
Look at the texture of the eggless buttermilk fruit cake! How good is it! It also tastes amazing. All you need to do is mix everything to make a thick batter and bake it. So easy breezy. Check out the video above if you don’t believe. I must thank all my readers for trying out recipes from the blog and sharing it with me through messages and whatsapp and in FB groups. Love you all to the core! Without you guys, I won’t be blogging at all. You inspire me to bake!
Check out my Christmas baking class. I have two classes, one for variety of Christmas bakes and one for eggless plum cakes. Both are quite detailed, you get lifetime support through Whatsapp groups and lifetime access to the class videos.
If you are interested, drop me a message in WhatsApp – 9865851233
My Other Christmas Cake Recipes – Click on the picture or recipe title to read the recipe
Eggless Buttermilk Fruit Cake
- 250 gm Maida
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 150 gm Brown Sugar
- 100 gm Melted Butter
- 250 ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- Vanilla – A few drops
- 275 gm Dry Fruits Mix (raisins, apricots, blueberries, tutti frutti, fig)
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Line, grease and dust a 7″ square cake tin.
- Cut the dry fruits and mix with a tsp of maida and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together maida, cinnamon, baking soda and sugar.
- Add vinegar to milk and mix until it curdles.
- Add this to the dry ingredients along with melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix well to form a thick batter.
- Add the dry fruits mix and fold them into the batter.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, check with a tester and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Allow it to cool for ten minutes in the pan.
- Transfer cake to wire rack and let it cool completely.
- You can slice it as soon as it is cool, or let the cake mature overnight, by wrapping it in aluminium foil and setting on counter.
- Slice it up and Enjoy!