When it comes to the states of North Eastern India, searching for recipes with easily available ingredients is tough. But still we manage to dish out recipes using various substitutes. Most of the recipes are mild when compared to the south Indian states and the ingredients are so unique. I somehow managed to cook from almost all the north eastern states this month. Today, it is a really simple pulao from Sikkim. This is usually served with a flavourful potato dish Til ko aloo.
As it is mild and served with potato, I didn’t have even a slight doubt about serving it for Sruti. I made a separate post for Til Ko Aloo, but you need to wait until next month. I will post it then. The rice is tempered with basic pulao spices and the addition of turmeric adds a lovely colour to the final dish. You can also add a spicy curry at the side if serving for adults. But for kids, the aloo and a simple raitha would work.
Recipe Source : Only Travel Guide
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tbs
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Clove – 2
Bay Leaf – 1
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Black Jeera – 1 tsp
Onion – 1
Salt – to taste
Water – 2 cups
Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
Drain and set aside.
Heat ghee and add all the spice.
Fry for a minute.
Add onions and saute until transparent.
Add in the rice and stir for two minutes on low flame.
Add salt, turmeric powder and water.
Cover and cook on low flame once the water starts boiling.
Once all the water is absorbed, remove from flame and set aside for 5 minutes.
Serve it hot with Till Ko Aloo.
Recipes so far in this festival
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tbs
- Cinnamon -1 small piece
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black Jeera - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1
- Salt - to taste
- Water-2 cups
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.Drain and set aside.
- Heat ghee and add all the spice.Fry for a minute.
- Add onions and saute until transparent.
- Add in the rice and stir for two minutes on low flame.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and water.
- Cover and cook on low flame once the water starts boiling.
- Once all the water is absorbed, remove from flame and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve it hot with Till Ko Aloo.
[inlinkz_linkup id=817872 mode=1]