This month’s Bread Bakers host Sue of Palatable Pastime suggested that we bake bread with cheese. Bread Bakers is a group of bloggers who love baking bread. We take turns in hosting the event every month with a chosen theme by the host. As the themes are really interesting, I take part every month. This way I can bake some breads for Sruti. This month, as the theme is cheese bread, I decided to make a whole wheat bread with lots of cheese inside. The condition is the bread should have the cheese inside, not as topping. As I have a cast iron skillet, I wanted to make the bread in it. The recipe is a basic wheat bread dough. To give it a spicy flavour, I added coriander, mint, garlic and green chillies paste to the dough. For filling I used a combination of Mozzarella and Cheddar, but you can use any cheese you have at hand. The bread turned out to be so flavourful and the texture was so good. I am really happy that I am getting the hang of whole wheat in my breads. Sruti loved it so much. As she is the only one who is tasting this, I kept the remaining bread cling wrapped in fridge. The required portion is then reheated in MW.
Baking bread with wheat flour is comparatively easier than all purpose flour. When APF is used you need to knead the dough for 10 minutes to get the perfect consistency. But with wheat flour, you need to knead it only for 2-3 minutes. Over kneading tends to make the bread so rustic and the top is always cracked. I found this accidentally and from then I never knead the wheat dough so much. If the climate is hot, then the proving takes just 45 minutes to one hour, but if the weather is cold, then the proving time would increase. Make sure that the dough is double in size. Over proving always makes the dough weak and you will end up with a flat bread. For the spice, you can use your favourite. Sruti loves the green chutney flavour, so I use it in recipes. But use whatever you like. Just keep the base recipe same and give variety by varying the spice and cheese in the bread.
200 ml Cup used
Whole Wheat Flour – 2 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
Instant Yeast – 1 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil – 3 tbs
Coriander, Mint, Green Chilly Paste – 2 tbs
Water – 1 cup
Cheese – 100 gm
Sesame Seeds For Topping
In a bowl, mix together flour, salt and instant yeast.
Add the oil and chilly paste and mix well.
Add water and make a slightly sticky dough.
Knead the dough gently for 2-3 minutes until smooth and soft.
Apply some oil on the dough, cover with cling film and set aside to double.
Preheat oven to 250°C.
Take the dough to the counter and slightly knead it.
Roll it into a thin rectangle.
Sprinkle grated cheese evenly on top.
Roll it into a tight log.
Grease a cast iron skillet or a 7″ cake tin.
Roll the log into a circle and place it inside the tin/ skillet.
Cover with cling film and set aside for 15 minutes.
Apply some milk over the bread and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
Remove from oven, allow it to cool a bit.
Slice it up and enjoy!
Whole Wheat Spicy Cheese Bread Recipe
- Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Instant Yeast - 1 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Oil - 3 tbs
- Coriander Mint, Green Chilly Paste - 2 tbs
- Water - 1 cup
- Cheese - 100 gm
- Sesame Seeds For Topping
- In a bowl, mix together flour, salt and instant yeast.
- Add the oil and chilly paste and mix well.
- Add water and make a slightly sticky dough.
- Knead the dough gently for 2-3 minutes until smooth and soft.
- Apply some oil on the dough, cover with cling film and set aside to double.
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Take the dough to the counter and slightly knead it.
- Roll it into a thin rectangle.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly on top.
- Roll it into a tight log.Grease a cast iron skillet or a cake tin.
- Roll the log into a circle and place it inside the tin/ skillet.
- Cover with cling film and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Apply some milk over the bread and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
- Remove from oven, allow it to cool a bit.
- Slice it up and enjoy!
- Brazilian Cheese Bread by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Buttermilk Cheddar Quick Bread by Food Above Gold
- Caramelized Onion and Cheese Bread by Ambrosia
- Cheddar Beer Bread Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cheese Babka by Passion Kneaded
- Easy Cheesy Pull Apart Rolls by I Camp In My Kitchen
- Irish Cheddar Scones by Baking Sense
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Mini Chilli Cheese Parathas by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Pancakes Huancaina by The Schizo Chef
- Party Cheese Bread by Anybody Can Bake
- Sausage Cheddar Biscuits by Palatable Pastime
- Soft Cheese Bread by The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen
- Spicy Cheese Bread by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Stuffed Mini Cheese Chicken Burger Buns by Sneha’s Recipe
- Wholemeal Cheese Bombs by Cook with Renu
- Vanilla-Mascarpone Popovers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla