I just couldn’t believe that Madurai can become so chilly. We are shivering and always keep our doors closed to stay warm. Sruti is still disappointed because she was expecting a proper winter. Really! In Madurai! She need to come down to earth. As we are experiencing chilly weather here, which we are not at all used to, both of us are down with severe cold. And I try to feed her something warm to feel better. And coincidentally, I took the theme Winter Warmers for this week BM. Two weeks back I made this saucy gobi manchurian for her. On that day, I added milk so the final dish was lighter in colour. Today I made it again and served it with some flaky parathas. Today I skipped the milk so the manchurian is on the darker side. Comparatively Sruti loves todays version. So next time I will skip the milk, but I have added it in the recipe in case you need it.
Whenever we visit restaurants ( this was two years back, now we don’t go at all) we ordered gobi manchurian every time. And they ask whether gravy or dry and we always went for dry type. Even at home I used to make only dry type gobi manchurian, but lately Sruti’s taste has changed and she wants more sauce in the dishes. So when PJ announced Winter Warmers, I decided to make this version of manchurian with more sauce and more creamier. The base spices and sauces are the same but the addition of the corn flour and water gives a thicker sauce base to the dish. You can either deep fry or oven bake the florets. I used to deep fry, but now I just oven bake them until crisp. Even she loves hers baked not fried and I am such a happy mom. I have also used wheat flour instead of maida and have tried to make it more healthier. But there are no rules and regulations when it comes to cooking. As they say in Master Chef Australia, cook from your heart. And I am sure you will win hearts.
For The Cauliflower Roast:
Cauliflower – 200 gm
Wheat Flour – 2 tbs
Corn Flour – 2 tbs
Salt – to taste
Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbs
Water as needed
For The Manchurian:
Oil – 1 tbs
Onion – 1
Green Capsicum – 2 – 3 slices
Green Chilly Sauce – 1 tbs
Red Chilly Sauce – 1 tbs
Soy Sauce – 1 tbs
Tomato Ketchup – 1/4 cup
Corn Flour – 1 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Coriander Leaves For Garnish
Mix together cauliflower, red chilly powder, salt, flour, corn flour.
Add oil and water just enough to bind the flour together. Do not make it as batter. The flour should coat the cauliflower pieces.
Deep fry them in oil until golden.
Otherwise, spread them on a tray and bake them at 200°C for 25 – 30 minutes.
Remove them and set aside.
In a pan heat oil, and add chopped onions and capsicum.
Saute until onions are golden.
Add all the sauces, adjust seasoning and mix well.
Mix together water and corn flour and add it to the pan along with milk.
Once it starts boiling, reduce flame and add the cauliflower roasts.
Mix well and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Saucy Gobi Manchurian Recipe - Winter Warmers
- For The Cauliflower Roast:
- Cauliflower - 200 gm
- Wheat Flour - 2 tbs
- Corn Flour - 2 tbs
- Salt - to taste
- Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbs
- Water as needed
- For The Manchurian:
- Oil - 1 tbs
- Onion - 1
- Green Capsicum - 2 - 3 slices
- Green Chilly Sauce - 1 tbs
- Red Chilly Sauce - 1 tbs
- Soy Sauce - 1 tbs
- Tomato Ketchup - 1/4 cup
- Corn Flour - 1 tsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Coriander Leaves For Garnish
- Mix together cauliflower, red chilly powder, salt, flour, corn flour.
- Add oil and water just enough to bind the flour together. Do not make it as batter. The flour should coat the cauliflower pieces.
- Deep fry them in oil until golden.
- Otherwise, spread them on a tray and bake them at 200°C for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove them and set aside.
- In a pan heat oil, and add chopped onions and capsicum.
- Saute until onions are golden.
- Add all the sauces, adjust seasoning and mix well.
- Mix together water and corn flour and add it to the pan along with milk.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce flame and add the cauliflower roasts.
- Mix well and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.