As I mentioned in my previous post, I am starting my month long mega marathon today. The theme is pretty exciting and one which is my hot favourite. Breads, that too flat breads around the world. And we are also doing it in A-Z order. I am so fond of yeast based breads and you will be seeing so many breads this month. And also I have read about so many cuisines around the world just for this theme and learnt a lot. I am sure you will find it interesting too.
The first bread for the alphabet A is a celebration bread from Ethiopia. Ambasha also known as Himbasha, is made for Christmas in Ethiopia and Eritrea. What I loved about this bread is the beautiful pattern made on the crust. There were so many fancy designs, but the most common one is the design which resembled a wheel. I made the pattern as I saw on the blog I referred. This is a mildly sweet, cardamom bread, and the nigella / the black sesame seeds add a note of savoury to it. It is so beautiful to look at and is perfect for a celebration. Though the basic variety is made plain, there are some recipes which add candied ginger and raisins in the dough. This is also served as a tea time snack. I also read an interesting fact about Ambasha. The bread is placed on a child’s back and it is broken into two on the child’s first birthday so that the child’s future is prosperous.
Makes One 9″ Bread
Maida / All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 tbs
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Instant Yeast – 1/2 tsp
Black Sesame Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1/3 cup + 1 tbs
Coconut Oil – 1 tbs
In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, yeast and sesame seeds.
Add in oil and milk and mix to form a soft dough.
Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth and elastic.
Cover and set aside until double in volume.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Punch dough and shape it into a disc.
Place it in a greased 9″ cake tin and press it to line the whole tin.
Cover and set it aside for 15 – 30 minutes.
Using a butter knife or a spatula, cut it into sections and make decorative patterns.
Give a milk wash and bake for 30 – 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
Cut it into 2″ cubes and serve.
Ambasha / Himbasha - Ethiopian Flat Bread Recipe
- Maida/ All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Sugar-1 tbs
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Instant Yeast - 1/2 tsp
- Black Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- cup Milk - 1/3+ 1 tbs
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbs
- In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, yeast and sesame seeds.
- Add in oil and milk and mix to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and set aside until double in volume.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Punch dough and shape it into a disc.
- Place it in a greased 9" cake tin and press it to line the whole tin.
- Cover and set it aside for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Using a butter knife or a spatula, cut it into sections and make decorative patterns.
- Give a milk wash and bake for 30 - 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Cut it into 2" cubes and serve.
[inlinkz_linkup id=783034 mode=1]