This is one of the easiest sandwich loaf we can make. With just 5 minutes of kneading and directly shaped in to the loaf pan, this is a cross between no knead bread and normal bread. I saw the recipe in King Arthur Flour site and found it very easy to make. I have a loaf pan which is 7 1/2″ * 4″. But usually all the recipes which I read for sandwich loaf uses 8 1/2″ * 4 1/2″ pan. So my loaf always turns out so high and touches the top filament when I place it in the centre rack. So I place my loaf tin in the lower rack and cover the top of the bread with a foil to avoid burning of the top.
The pan is sprinkled with corn meal which gives it a crispy crust. Though I am not a great fan of this crust, my daughter loves it so much. So every time I make it, she is so happy. I toasted the slices and served it with some vegetables. The remaining bread was wrapped in cling film and refrigerated. We enjoyed it for the next two days. The crumb of the slice is fantastic. The dough is on the thinner side and is so tough to knead. So use a bench scraper to make the kneading mess free. Usually in bread recipes we add warm water to make the dough and if it is slightly hotter, it would kill the yeast. But this recipe is different. The milk is heated to 120F which is hotter than warm. You can feel the heat if you dip your finger, but it doesn’t kill the yeast. It was one of the wonders with this recipe.
Recipe Source: King Arthur Flour
All Purpose Flour / Maida – 3 cups
Sugar – 1 tbs
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Instant Yeast – 1 tbs
Milk – 1 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Oil -2 tbs
Corn Meal To Dust The Tin
In a saucepan mix together milk, water and oil.
Heat until it reaches 120°F/ 49°C.
In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda.
Add the hot milk and mix it to form a sticky dough.
Transfer to counter and knead it for 5 minutes.
Grease a loaf pan and sprinkle cornmeal on the sides.
Transfer the dough to the pan and level it.
Cover with cling film and set aside until it has just reached the top of the pan.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Bake the bread in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, set it on wire rack for 5 minutes.
Flip the bread onto the wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing.
English Muffin Loaf Recipe
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 3 cups
- Sugar - 1 tbs
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Instant Yeast - 1 tbs
- Milk - 1 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Oil -2 tbs
- Corn Meal To Dust The Tin
- In a saucepan mix together milk, water and oil.
- Heat until it reaches 120°F/ 49°C.
- In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda.
- Add the hot milk and mix it to form a sticky dough.
- Transfer to counter and knead it for 5 minutes.
- Grease a loaf pan and sprinkle cornmeal on the sides.
- Transfer the dough to the pan and level it.
- Cover with cling film and set aside until it has just reached the top of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Bake the bread in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, set it on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Flip the bread onto the wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016
[inlinkz_linkup id=680533 mode=1]