Milk cake recipe is an Indian sweet also known as Kalakhand, made with milk, sugar and cardamom powder. This is perfect for celebrations.
When you read the title, you might think that it is a baked cake like the hot milk cake, but no, you are mistaken, it is a milk sweet from Uttar Pradesh. Even I mistook the name for some cake when I first saw this at Nishamadhulika.
But when I saw the milk cake recipe, I immediately bookmarked it, but never got a chance to make it until now. Think of this as a cousin to kalakand. For kalakand, we cook paneer, mawa and sugar and it is set when it is soft and white in colour. But for the milk cake, milk is reduced to thick consistency like mawa, then lemon juice is added to curdle the mixture and then sugar is added and cooked until dry. So the result is a deep browned sweet, which is slightly tangy and absolutely delicious.
Just like the basundhi recipe, this tested my patience. But when compared to this basudhi was easy as it involved only one litre of milk whereas this involved reducing 2 1/2 litres of milk. I didn’t even have a large heavy bottomed pan to hold all the milk for reducing.
How to reduce cooking time
I divided the milk between two pans and reduced them to half and then combined them and proceeded. This took lesser time when compared to reducing the whole amount of milk in a single pan. But still it took nearly three hours to complete cooking this. But it was so worth the time. The sweet is let to set for 24 hours before removing it from the tin.
Resting time is really important for milk cake recipe
But as usual, I couldn’t wait and I removed it by 8 hours. So it started crumbling at the edges. I advice you to wait for 24 hours before slicing the sweet. It was extremely rich and even a small amount of the sweet made us feel so full. I refrigerated the sweet and consumed little every day.
Milk Cake Recipe – Stepwise Photos For Easy understanding
If you love Indian Milk Sweets, then you definitely need to check out my compilation of twenty Amazing Milk Sweet Recipes. Click on the image below to see the recipes.
Milk Cake Recipe
- 2.5 Litres Whole Fat Milk
- 250 gm Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid or one lemon
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Divide milk between two heavy bottomed pan and reduce to 1/3rd.
- Now combine both and let it boil. Keep on stirring to avoid the bottom getting burned.
- Dissolve citric acid in 2 tbs of water and add it to the reduced milk.
- The milk will curdle and whey will be separated.
- Add sugar and keep on cooking until the whey completely evaporates.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Grease a 6″ cake tin with ghee and transfer the mixture to the pan.
- Press it well with the back of a spoon until it is firm.
- Set aside for 24 hours to set.
- For demoulding, place the tin on low heat for a few seconds and flip it onto a plate.
- The cake will slide out of the tin.
- Slice it up and serve.