When I was searching for some day to day recipes, I found this on Mythreyi’s blog. She has an amazing collection of Chettinad recipes in her blog – Chettinad Recipes. I have never prepared sambar with coconut as the main ingredient. And when I saw her recipe, I found it suitable for this theme. I didn’t exactly follow her recipe but I added grated coconut to my usual sambar recipe. For an authentic version, add red chilly powder instead of sambar powder. And add any vegetable.
The grated coconut added a nice little crunch to sambar. As I didn’t have any other vegetables that day, I made it completely coconut based. It tasted so nice with rice as well as dosas. My daughter loved it so much.
Recipe Adapted From Chettinad Recipes
Toor dhal(tuvaram paruppu)-1cup
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Tamarind-a small lemon sized ball(prepare juice by soaking in water and filtering the water twice)
Coriander Leaves For Garnish
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dhal-1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4tsp
Pressure cook dhal, tomatoes,turmeric powder and till oil.
Add small onions, sambhar powder and tamarind juice.
Add salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Wait for 10 minutes before opening the cooker.
Now heat oil and splutter the ingredients for seasoning. Add it to sambhar along with grated coconut.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Chettinad Thengai Sambar
- Toor dhal-1cup tuvaram paruppu
- Small onion-10
- Till oil-1tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
- Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
- in Tamarind-a small lemon sized ball prepare juice by soakingwater and filtering the water twice
- Coriander Leaves For Garnish
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Urad dhal-1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds-1/4tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4tsp
- Pressure cook dhal, tomatoes,turmeric powder and till oil.
- Add small onions, sambhar powder and tamarind juice.
- Add salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Wait for 10 minutes before opening the cooker.
- Now heat oil and splutter the ingredients for seasoning. Add it to sambharalong with grated coconut.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.