The Bread Baker’s Monthly challenge is here again. I have started taking part in this group challenge from last month. Every month, a host decides on a theme and all the members bake a bread according to that theme. This month’s host is Pavani of Cook’s Hide Out, and she chose the theme Breads Made With Summer Bounty. Any fresh vegetable or herbs are included. For us herbs are one of the ingredients which is available any time of the year. So I decide to use fresh coriander leaves in my bread. As the bread can be yeast based or chemically leavened, my choice for this month’s theme was biscuits. Biscuits are like quick breads which use baking powder and baking soda for leavening and uses generous amounts of butter. For the cheese part, I used up my home made feta cheese (recipe coming soon on blog) which turned out far better than the store bought cheese. The biscuits had a nice crispy crust and soft buttery crumb and as there were herbs and cheese they were tasty with out any spread or side dishes.
At first I selected a recipe from a popular website. I didn’t even think twice as the biscuits were beautiful. When the biscuits came out of oven, they were flat and they tasted bitter. I was confused and rechecked my recipe. For 2 cups of flour, the recipe suggested 1 tbs of baking powder and 1 tsp of baking soda. That was too much leavening and so the flat biscuits and bitter taste. So I tried it again making changes to the recipe and this tme it turned out perfect. I was so happy with the result. If you are making this, you can go for feta and coriander or you can choose any herb and cheese. Mozarella and cheddar makes a nice alternative to the feta and for the herb, use mint or parsley or any other herb you have in the pantry. This recipe is so versatile.
Makes 10 Biscuits
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-2 cups
Baking Powder-2 tsp
Baking Soda-1/2 tsp
Cold Butter-100 gm/ 1/2 cup
Crumbled Feta Cheese-1/2 cup
Chopped Fresh Coriander Leaves-1/2 cup
Curd/ Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 200°C.
In a bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Chop cold butter into tiny pieces and add it to the flour.
Rub until the flour resembles coarse bread crumbs.
Add in crumbled feta cheese and chopped coriander leaves.
Add curd and mix until just combined. Do not knead.
Dust counter with flour and pat the dough into a rough rectangle which is 1/2″ thick.
With the help of a cookie cutter, cut out rounds.
Gather left over dough tightly and cut again. You might need to shape the last biscuit by hand.
Arrange them on a greased baking tray.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden.
Remove from oven and serve hot.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here.
Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
Breads using Summer Bounty:
- Almond and Carrot Biscuits from Basic N Delicious
- Cheddar Mielie Bread with Sun-Dried Tomatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Bread Pudding from Bakers and Best
- Eggless Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Garden Herb Focaccia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Herb and Cheese Biscuits from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Herb and Cheese Grissini from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Herbed Butterflaps from Sneha’s Recipe
- Herbs, Spinach and Cheese Bourekas from Cooking Club
- Jalapeño Summer Squash Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Mango Kolache from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Peach & Blueberry Meringue Pull Apart Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Peach Pull-Apart Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peaches and Cream Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pizza Cipolla – Onion Pizza from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Garlic Fougasse from Spice Roots
- Rosemary Breadsticks from A Baker’s House
- Spinach Semolina Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Studded Zucchini Yeast Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sundried Tomato Focaccia with Sauteed Summer Veggies & Garden Salad from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Tomato, Onion, Parmesan Focaccia from Noshing With The Nolands
- Walnut Oat Crumble Courgette Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Wholewheat Onion, Spinach & Red Pepper Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Wholewheat Zucchini Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Zucchini Oatmeal Bread from Cali’s Cuisine
- Zucchini/Jalapeño/Cheese Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm