For this month’s Home Bakers Challenge, Priya suggested scones. She gave us four recipes to choose from I chose to make these simple scones. The original recipe had raisins but I opted for dries cranberries. Scone is a single serving cake or quick bread. Unlike tea cakes and sweet buns which use yeast for rising, scones use baking powder as leavening agent. These are mildly sweet and are usually served along with jam or spread. The scone has the same ingredients as the pastries but in different proportions of fat and flour. Chilled butter is rubbed into flour and this step is so much like the short crust pastry preparation.
When I decided to make scones, I wanted it to be different. So I used the batch of dried cranberries I bought recently. Cranberry scones were so buttery and flaky and tasted so nice. Usually scones are made into wedges but I chose to make small rounds. Call me lazy, I din’t want to roll the dough and cut into rounds. I just pinched small portions and shaped them into rounds. As the scones are flaky, they will not have a smooth top. They look some what rustic, but are absolutely delicious.
Recipe Source: All Recipes
Makes 14 scones
Flour/ Maida-2 cups
Baking Powder-1 tsp
Baking Soda-1/4 tsp
Dried Cranberries-1/2 cup
Cold Butter-1/2 cup
Sour Cream-3/4 cup
Preheat oven to 175°C.
In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Grate chilled butter directly into the flour.
Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips.
Add cranberries, sour cream and milk and bring the dough together.
Do not knead it. Just press it to form a crumbly dough.
Take small portions of the dough, flatten it and arrange on a baking tray.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until the top is golden.
Serve warm with butter and jam.
Eggless Cranberry Scones
- Flour/ Maida-2 cups
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder-1 tsp
- Baking Soda-1/4 tsp
- Sugar-1/3 cup
- Dried Cranberries-1/2 cup
- Cold Butter-1/2 cup
- Sour Cream-3/4 cup
- Milk-1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Grate chilled butter directly into the flour.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips.
- Add cranberries, sour cream and milk and bring the dough together.
- Do not knead it. Just press it to form a crumbly dough.
- Take small portions of the dough, flatten it and arrange on a baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Serve warm with butter and jam.
[inlinkz_linkup id=502800 mode=1]