For this week’s Fondbites Bake Along, Subhashini’s choice was these easy to make orange cookies with orange butter cream filling. The original recipe had egg in it and I tried to make an eggless version. Cream cookies are usually a kid’s favourite. When Shubhashini explained her childhood memories associated with cream cookies, even I remembered mine. I never ate both cookies and cream at the same time. Removing the cookies apart, licking the cream and then eating the cookies was so much fun and now my daughter does it. After a long time, even I tried it for these cookies. The cookies were super crispy and the soft cream inside was so delightful. And see what I got from Subhashini. As I was selected one of the consistent bakers of Fondbites Bake Along, Subhashini sent a gift. I am so happy for the appreciation. Thank you Subhashini. It is so lovely!!
While the cookies were in oven my house was filled with the aroma of oranges and it was so nice. The first batch, I removed the cookies whenthe bottom started changing colour. Though they were cooked, they were soft. It was OK if you are not going to do the cream cookies version. But for cream cookies, they need to be crispy. So I baked it again until it changed colour on top also. Then it was fine. If stored in air tight container, it would last for 1 week but I am sure it will all be gone by two days.
Recipe Source: Fondbites
Makes 40 cookies and 20 sandwich cookies
For The Cookies:
Butter – 1/2 cup
Sugar-1/2 cup, powdered
Milk-1/12 th cup
Orange Juice-1/12 th cup
Orange Zest from one orange
Corn Flour-2 tbs
Baking Powder-1 tsp
For The Cream:
Icing Sugar-7-8 tbs
Orange Juice-1 tsp
Orange Zest-a pinch
1. Cream together butter, orange zest and sugar until light and fluffy for 5 minutes.
2. Mix together milk and orange juice and add it to the butter mixture.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and corn flour into the butter mixture and mix to form a soft yet crumbly dough.
4. Preheat oven to 180C.
5. Line or grease a baking tray.
6. Make small balls out of the dough, press it to make it flat and place on the tray 1″ apart.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the top is brown.
8. Remove from oven and allow it to cool on wire rack.
9. By the time, Prepare cream by mixing butter, sugar, orange juice and zest. If you feel that the cream is thick, add a few drops of orange juice to make it creamier.
10. Place a small amount of cream on a flat surface of a cookie, place the other cookie on top to sandwich.
11. In about 30 minutes, the cream will crust and so you can store it inside an airtight container.
Take butter, sugar and orange zest.
Cream it until light.
Mix milk and orange juice mix.
Add it to the butter and beat.
Sift flour, corn flour, salt and baking powder.
Make a soft and crumbly dough.
Make small balls and press them. Arrange on a greased tray.
Bake until brown.
Mix all the ingredients for cream.
Place some cream on a cookie.
Place another one on top.
Let it dry for a few minutes.