Mascarpone cheese is hard to get in Indian stores and even if you get the cost is sky high. When I prepared Italian dessert Tiramisu for one of the challenges, I made the cheese at home after seeing an online post at baking Obsession. Mascarpone cheese is made by curdling fresh cream/ heavy cream. Lemon juice is used for curdling. The cream doesn’t curdle like milk. As I was not aware of this I was so confused when I heated the cream. But once I drained it in fridge, it thickened up so nice and the cheese was so creamy. As I was not so sure of the result, I didn’t take any step wise photos and now I regret for that. Next time when I prepare this cheese, I will surely update the post with the snaps
Home Made Mascarpone Cheese
Recipe Source: Baking Obsession
Fresh Cream/ Heavy cream- 500 gm
1. Heat cream in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. When it starts bubbling, add juice of 1 lemon and stir it until the cream becomes a little thick. This is the actual curdling.
3. Remove from flame.
4. Line a metal sieve with a cotton cloth.
5. Pour the cream into it and cover it with a plate.
6. Place it on a bowl and keep the whole setting in fridge overnight.
7. The next day when you take the sieve out of fridge, you will be amazed by the creamy cheese in the cloth.
8. Transfer to a box .
9. You can store it for maximum 3 days in fridge.
Click on image for Eggless Tiramisu Recipe