We all love tamarind based gravies and when I saw this at nandoo’s kitchen, I was tempted to try it right away. This is a recipe from Kerala. This is similar to the puli kulambu in Tamilnadu. And there are so many varieties in it such as ulli theeyal, vendakka theeyal, pavakka theeyal, muringakka theeyal and there is even a fish theeyal when I was browsing through blogs. As puli klambu is always welcome at my place, I made this vendakka theeyal using okra/ ladies finger and served it along with rice and cabbage poriyal. It was a wonderful combination and we had a filling lunch today. This is my final post for the Blogging Marathon #34.
Recipe Source: Lisha
Okra/ Ladies Finger-10-12
For The Spice Paste:
Methi/ Fenugreek Seeds-1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp
Pepper Powder-1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder-1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Tamarind-gooseberry sized ball
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Curry Leaves-a sprig
1. Wash and wipe the okra and slice into small pieces.
2. Heat oil and add the okra and saute on medium flame until it changes colour.
3. Remove them from oil and allow to cool.
4. In the same pan add fenugreek seeds and when aromatic, add onions and saute until golden.
5. Add grated coconut and saute until it changes colour.
6. Add all the spice powders and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Extract juice from the tamarind and add it to the pan.
8. Let it cook for a minute.
9. Remove from flame, cool and grind it to a fine paste.
10. Heat oil in a pan and add pearl onions and garlic.
11. When they turn golden, add the okra, spice paste and water.
12. Add salt to taste and cover and cook on low flame until garlic is soft.
13. Now in a separate pan add oil and add mustard seeds, red chilly and curry leaves.
14. Pour this over the theeyal and serve it hot with rice.
For the past two days I have been quite busy as I started taking cookery classes and Fashion Designing courses. Blogging has definitely taken a back seat and I am posting just for the Blogging Marathon. Until I am familiar with this routine, I will not be blogging daily. But I am trying hard not to miss any challenges and you will be seeing all my challenge recipes on the reveal dates.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#34