This is one of mom’s speciality. Nobody else makes puttu in the form of cups in our home except mom. Usually we steam cook the flour and then add all the other ingredients to get fluffy puttu but this is bit different. Mom adds all the ingredients before steam cooking and shapes cups out of the flour. Then she steam cooks it and we get delicious puttu cups. This is one of my favourite recipes from mom’s kitchen. After nearly 3 months of her leaving us, I still feel that she is in Coimbatore and she is just a phone call away. Just remembering her with one of her lovely recipes. This came out beautiful. PK is not a great fan of fluffy puttu but if I make puttu urundai, he just polishes them off the plate. This is some what similar to puttu urundai and so loved it. Sruti has not yet accepted this as a snack and may be some day in the future, she may like it. But as we both liked it I didn’t bother much. This is for the Blogging Marathon #34, week 3 and day 3 and I am posting under Evening snacks theme.
Homemade Puttu Flour/ Maavu(click on link for the procedure)– 1 cup
Salt- a pinch
Sugar-1 cup or according to your taste
Grated Coconut-1 cup
Cardamom Powder-1/4 tsp
1. Take the flour in a bowl.
2. Add salt and mix.
3. Sprinkle little water and rub it to incorporate the water into the flour. We just want wet flour and we are not going to prepare dough.
4. Use little water for sprinkling.
5. When you hold the flour in the palm, it should take shape but when you press a little it must crumble. When the flour reaches this consistency, puttu flour is ready.
6. Add sugar, cardamom powder and coconut.
7. Mix well.
8. Take a small tumbler or a tiny bowl. fill it with puttu flour and press it to make the flour tight. If it is not tightly pressed, then it will not take the shape of the cup.
9. Once it is pressed, slightly tap the cup keeping it slanting to remove the puttu from the cup.
10. Place it on a idli plate.
11. Finish the remaining flour.
12. Steam cook for 10-12 minutes.
13. Remove from the plate, sprinkle with coconut and serve hot.
Sprinkle water on the flour.
Keep on mixing and sprinkling water until the flour is crumbly and can be shaped like this.
Add sugar, coconut and cardamom powder.
Press it into a small cup.
Remove the puttu from the cup and arrange it on idli plate.
After 10-12 minutes, remove from the plate and serve topped with coconut.