For this month’s Home Baker’s challenge, Priya is our host and she selected the theme Biscotti. Biscotti are double baked crunchy and light biscuits from Italy. Biscotti uses eggs for binding and when ever I make an eggless biscotti I face a problem. The top cracks and it is very difficult to get perfect oblong biscotti. For this month Priya provided us four recipes and one among those was an eggless recipe. She had got perfectly shaped biscotti and so I wanted to try that recipe. But still I didn’t get the shape but it tasted delicious. Super light and super crisp it was super hit at my house. Though it doesn’t look beautiful, it tasted divine and in two days all the 22 pieces were gone. My daughter needs more but as I am out of chocolate I have postponed the preparation. So don’t be fooled by the look of this biscotti. Try it and enjoy it as we did.
Recipe Source: Priya
Flour/ Maida-1 1/2 cups
Cocoa Powder-1 tbs
Baking Powder-1 tsp
Baking Soda-1/2 tsp
Melted Bitter Sweet Chocolate-1/4 cup
1. Mix together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
2. In another bowl, bet together butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and mix.
4. Add the flour and knead into a soft dough. If crumbly, add a few drops of milk.
5. Divide the dough into two portions.
6. Roll each portion into a log and place it on a greased baking sheet.
7. Preheat oven to 175C.
8. Bake the loaves for 20-25 minutes. Note it carefully otherwise it will get darker.
9. Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely. The loaves will be soft to touch when hot but will firm up once cool.
10. With a serrated knife carefully slice the loaves into 1/2″ thick oval slices.
11. Arrange the slices on the tray and bake for 5 minutes on one side.
12. Now flip the biscottis and bake for another 5 minutes.
13. They will still be soft to touch but once cool they will become crisp.
14.Cool the biscotti on wire rack.
15. Store in air tight container.
16. Serve it with a cup of coffee or tea.
Cream together butter and sugar.
Add melted chocolate and essence.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add it to the butter mixture.
Make a soft dough.
Divide into two and make two logs.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cut into slices.
Bake both sides each for 5 minutes.
Cool, store and enjoy with a cup of coffee..