I am being late at everything this month. For this month’s Home Baker Challenge, I was supposed to post this recipe on 10th. Though I had prepared this earlier, I couldn’t post it on time. And it is better to be late than never. So after a week, here I am, posting the challenge recipe. Honey drizzled semolina cake is completely made with semolina, without any flour and the main binding agent in the recipe is egg. As I made the eggless version, the cake came out so soft and fluffy and was very crumbly. You need to be very gentle while handling the pieces because if roughly handled, you will be left with the crumbles. This cake is very similar to the Basboussa I posted earlier (the only difference is the addition of flour). The cake is baked and then the sugar syrup is poured on the cake and the whole assembly is allowed to cool so that the cake absorbs all the syrup and becomes very soft. The recipe was suggested by Shama Nagarajan of Shama’s Easy To Cook Recipes from yummly.com. I substituted the eggs with curd and the result was very delicious. Thank you Shama for the yummy recipe..
For The Cake:
Vanilla Essence-1/2 tsp
Baking Powder-1 tsp
Baking Soda-1/2 tsp
Salt- a pinch
For The Syrup:
Sugar-1 1/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 175C. Grease and dust a 9″ * 13″ rectangle pan.
2. Cream together butter and sugar in a bowl.
3. When soft and fluffy, add the essence, curd and milk.
4. Whisk until incorporated.
5. In another bowl add semolina, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
6. Add this to the butter mixture and mix well.
7. Pour this into the prepared pan and bake until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. It will take 20-30 minutes.
8. While the cake is baking in the oven, prepare the syrup.
9. In a sauce pan combine together sugar, water and honey.
10. Heat it. Keep on stirring until the sugar dissolves.
11. When the syrup starts boiling, reduce flame to medium and let it boil for 5 minutes.
12. When the cake comes out of oven, pour the hot syrup on the cake.
13. Allow the cake to absorb all the syrup.
14. Let the cake cool completely.
15. Now cut into squares, remove them gently from the pan and serve.