For the second day of Blogging Marathon, to bake with whole grains, I selected oats. When going through the web, I saw this recipe at serious eats. As I also had a bottle full of jam, I decided to bake this. The original recipe had eggs and I substituted it with milk. The apple jam on the cookies rendered a slight sourness to the cookies and it tasted delicious. Though Sruti didn’t like it Pk enjoyed it a lot. Sruti was so busy with the devil’s food cup cakes by that time. The recipe is very easy to make and you get two dozens with the given recipe.
Makes 24 cookies
Brown Sugar-1/2 cup
Baking Soda-1/2 tsp
Quick Cooking Oats-1 1/2 cups
Golden Raisins-1/2 cup
Jam-Preferred flavour -I used Apple Jam
1. Cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add milk and vanilla and beat.
3. Mix flour, oats, baking soda, salt and raisins in a separate bowl.
4. Add it to the butter mixture and mix to combine.
5. The dough may seem sticky. Cover and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
6. Now the dough will not stick to your hand.
7. Divide the dough into 24 equal portions and rool each portion into a ball.
8. Preheat oven to 175C.
9. Place the balls on a lined baking tray 2″ apart.
10. Press with your index finger so that the ball flattens a little and making a small indent in the centre.
11. Spoon a small amount of jam into the indent.
12. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden.
13. remove from oven and allow it to cool in the tray for 10 minutes.
14. Remove it to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
15. Serve with a cup of coffee or tea.
Prepare the dough.
Place balls of the dough on a tray 2″ apart.
Press in the centre of the ball to make an indent.
Fill it with jam. Bake.