Makes 12 Rotis
Whole Wheat Flour-3 cups
Salt- to taste
Nigella Seeds-1 tsp
Instant Yeast-1 tsp
1. In a bowl mix all the ingredients except oil and add enough water to make a firm dough.
2. Cover and keep it aside for 2 hours.
3. Deflate the dough and divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
4. Roll each ball into a thin disc. Dust with flour to avoid sticking.
5. Heat a tawa and cook the disc on both sides.
6. Drizzle some oil and cook until done.
7. Serve it hot along with a gravy of your choice.
Linking this to Yeastspotting
Khamiri roti is from the Mughalai cuisine. Khamir means yeast. This is an yeasted flat bread which is so soft and is made with whole wheat flour. I saw the recipe in Tarla Dalal’s Mughalai Khana. The recipe suggested baking of the rotis but as I was pressed for time, I cooked them on stove top. I also made Methi Paneer as an accompaniment and it was so delicious. This combination makes a great dinner. And it is very easy to prepare. Make the dough 2 hours in advance so that the dough gets enough time for proofing. As I have used instant yeast, I added it directly to the flour. But if you are using dried yeast, you need to add it to 1/4 cup of warm water and wait until it bubbles. Then add it to the flour.