This is the gravy which helps you when you don’t have any vegetables in your pantry. As Sruti is ill, it has been long since I visited the market. So I was out of vegetables except for some onions and two small coconuts given by a friend during one of his visits. For the third day of Blogging Marathon #20 Week 1, I am posting under cooking with onions. With only two ingredients at hand, I thought of preparing gravy with onions and coconut. As I also intended to serve it along with rotis for dinner, I made it tamarind free. This is a very easy recipe and can be cooked up within 30minutes with very less amount of ingredients. As for the taste, it was very nice with rice and it will surely go well with rotis too.
- Heat oil and add mustard, urad dhal, fennel and hing.
- When they crackle, add the onions and sauté until light brown in colour. Saute on low flame so that you get a nice sweetness from onions with out burning them.
- Grind coconut and sambar powder along with a little water to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the onions and add turmeric powder and salt.
- Add enough water to bring it to gravy consistency.
- When it starts boiling, cover and cook on low flame for 10minutes.
- Serve hot along with rice or rotis.