I have heard of chettinad’s kavuni arisi but never had an opportunity to try it until last month. Our neighbour during Grihapravesham (House Warming Ceremony) arranged for cooks from Karaikudi who are specialists in chettinad cuisine. For breakfast they served kavuni arisi and paasiparuppu puttu along with idli, pongal and vadai. Kavuni arisi was so delicious I had a second serving. As a coincidence I got the recipe for the rice in a tamil magazine. Then when I went to the stores I saw a pack of kavuni arisi also known as balck rice and I bought it immediately. As I had everything in hand to make kavuni arisi, I soaked the rice in the morning and cooked it for our evening snack. It takes nearly 30 minutes to cook. But preparing the dish is very easy once the rice is cooked. We loved the way it turned. It was absolutely delicious and matched the Karaikudi cook’s dish.
Click For A Printable Recipe
Serves 2 Persons
Black Rice/ Kavuni Arisi-1/2cup
1. Soak rice in 2 1/2 cups of water for 2-3 hours.
2. Transfer the rice along with water and cardamom powder to pressure cooker.
3. When the first whistle blows, switch flame to low and cook for 25-30 minutes.
4. Remove from flame and keep it aside until the pressure subsides.
5. Open the cooker and stir the rice.
6. Add sugar and coconut. Mix well.
7. Heat ghee in a pan and add cashew. Fry until golden.
8. Add it to the rice and mix well.
9. Serve it hot or at room temperature.