Yesterday, I prepared this delicious kheer. My daughter usually refuses to drink kheer/ paayasam. So I didn’t offer her.Hubby liked it very much. During night, I gave him the remaining half a cup of kheer to drink. At thit time my daughter was around and she tasted the kheer from her dad’s cup. For my astonishment, she liked it very much and demanded more. I promised that I will prepare some more tomorrow. The kheer didn’t taste like pumpkin at all. It was more like seempaal (a preparation with milk got from a cow on the first day of delivering a calf). I also avoided nuts and ghee which usually goes into the regular payasam. While preparing pumpkin puree, I usually grind the cooked pumpkin and then store it in freezer. But this time I simply removed the pulp from the skin and used it. So it resembled small strands of vermicelli.
Saffron-a few strands
1. Heat a tbs of ghee and add the prepared pumpkin and saute until ghee separates.
2. Add milk and sugar and bring it to boil.
3. Let it boil on low flame until the sugar melts and the pumpkin becomes soft.
4. Remove from flame and allow it to cool.
5. Pour into tall glass and garnish with saffron. Serve at room temperature or cold.