Today for the second day of Blogging Marathon#11, I prepared Daal Poori, a special dish from Bihar. While I was searching for bihari recipes, I came across this recipe at Ocieanic Hope Blog of Asha. The recipe was interesting. So I chose to prepare it today. I tasted a little and it was delicious. I am waiting for hubby to return home to taste it. This tastes great with any Bihari side dish but I don’t need one because the stuffing itself has all the spices.
Recipe Source: Asha of Oceanic Hope
For The Dough:
Black Sesame Seeds-1tsp
For The Stuffing:
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp
Green Chilly-1tsp(finely chopped)
Oil-For Deep Frying
1. Mix flour, salt, oil and sesame seeds and rub it nice to make a crumb like flour.
2. Gradually add water to make a firm dough.
3. Cover and keep it aside for 1/2hour.
4. Pressure cook channa dhal with 1/4tsp turmeric powder and 1tsp oil for 5-7minutes with little water.
5. The dhal should be completely cooked but should not be mushy.
6. Strain extra water.
7. Heat 1tbs oil and splutter cumin seeds. Add onions and saute till golden.
8. Add all the powders and salt. Mash dhal with the back of spoon and add it to the onion mixture.
9. Saute until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
10. Add the cilantro and switch off stove.
11. When the mixture is cool, divide it into 6 equal parts.
12. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts.
13. Roll out the dough into a circle, place the filling in the centre and bring all the sides to cover the filling.
14. Pinch to seal.
15. Place the seam side down and roll the ball into a thick circle.
16. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the pooris on medium flame till golden on both sides.
17. Serve hot along with any side dish.
|Prepare a firm dough|
|Dhal should be cooked but it should retain the shape|
|Prepare the filling as per the recipe|
|Divide into 6 equal parts|
|Divide the dough into 6 equal parts|
|Roll out a circle and place the filling in the centre|
|Bring the edges to cover the filling and pinch to seal|
|Finish off the remaining balls|
|Roll into a thick circle|
|Deep fry till golden|
Take a look at my fellow marathoners’s recipes here.