I had a cup of cow pea sprouts and I wanted to use it up. When I thought of preparing a braided bread, using sprouts for the filling came to my mind. I just wanted to pair it up with another ingredient and it happened to be frozen green peas. I prepared frozen peas before long and it was sitting in my freezer. So I combined those two ingredients to prepare a delicious and nutritious stuffing for my bread. The bread itself is whole wheat bread and totally a guilt free snack to go with our evening coffee. Today is the fifth day of Blogging Marathon #10 and you can take a look here to see what my fellow bloggers are cooking..
For The Filling:
Cow Pea Sprouts-1cup
Frozen Green Peas-3/4cup
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp
Chat Masala Powder-1/2tsp
For The Dough:
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough. Add water to prepare a soft dough.
2. Knead it for 5 minutes and keep it covered for 3hours.
3. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
4. Heat oil and splutter fennel seeds.
5. Add onions and saute till golden.
6. As I used frozen peas, I immersed it in hot water to thaw it. Then I filtered the water and added it to the onions.
7. Pressure cook the sprouts in a cup of water for 3minutes.
8. Drain water and keep it aside.
9. Add the turmeric, red chilly and chat masala to the green peas and mix well.
10. Add the cooked sprouts to the peas and add salt to taste.
11. Using a masher mash the mixture to get a mushy mixture.
12. When the mixture becomes dry, switch off stove and allow it to cool.
13. Press dough to deflate it. Divide it into two equal parts.
14. Roll out each portion into a 28cm*21cm rectangle.
15. Divide the filling into two.
16. Place one portion in the centre of one rectangle.
17. Make cuts diagonally on the sides of the filling.
18. Braid as shown in the tutorial and arrange the breads on a greased tray.
19. Cover with a kitchen towel and keep it aside for 30minutes.
20. Brush the top of the bread with milk.
21. Preheat oven to 200C.
22. Bake for 25-30minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
23. Remove from oven, slice it and serve hot with coffee.
|Pressure cook the sprouts|
|Saute onions and green peas|
|Add the masala powders|
|Add the cooked sprouts and salt|
|Mash with a masher and saute till dry|
|Divide the dough into two portions|
|Roll it into a rectangle|
|Keep the filling in the centre and give diagonal cuts at the sides|
|Remove the top two triangles and fold the middle portion on top of the filling|
|Alternately bring the side flaps on the filling|
|Finish all the flaps|
|Make a rose with the triangles cut from the top|
|Arrange on a baking tray|
|Give a milk wash after 30minutes|
|Bake until golden brown|
|A closer view of the bread|
|Slice it up and serve|
Sending this to Yeastspotting.