Small Brinjal / Eggplant-250gm
Sambar Powder-1 1/2tsp
Tamarind-lemon sized ball
Mustard and Urad Dhal-1tsp
Curry Leaves-a sprig
1. Slit brinjals into four with the stem intact.
2. Heat oil and splutter mustard, urad dhal, fennel, methi seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add the whole pearl onions and garlic pods and saute till brown.
4. Add the slit brinjals and saute till it changes colour.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute till mushy.
6. Add the tamarind juice along with sambar powder, salt and turmeric powder.
7. When it stars boiling, switch flame to low, cover pan and cook until the brinjals are done.
8. When the gray thickens and oil starts floating, switch off stove.
Today is the fifth day of Blogging Marathon#9. This is a delicious tangy gravy which uses small whole brinjals. I usually prepare a gravy with coconut. But this doesn’t have coconut yet it tastes great. The recipe also mentioned the addition of fennel seeds. The flavour was fantastic. This is a great combination for hot steamed rice with appalam or puliodharai. My hubby liked it very much. We are enjoying chettinad cuisine very much.