For the third day of Blogging Marathon#9, I prepared karunai kilangu masiyal. Karunai kilangu is called as Yam Ordinary in English. While searching for the English name for the vegetable, I got so many confusing answers. Many of them have named it as elephant yam. But it is wrong. Elephant yam is the name for senai kilangu. After so many searches, I got the right name. Okay lets get back to the dish. I prepared it for lunch. We enjoyed it with curd rice. It was very tasty. The tangy taste from the tamarind was so nice. Both of us liked it very much.
Karunai Kilangu / Yam Ordinary-250gm
Tamarind-goose berry sized ball
Mustard and Urad Dhal-1tsp
1. Boil karunai kilangu in water until a knife inserted goes smoothly.
2. Remove from water and allow it to cool.
3. Peel the skin and mash it with a masher.
4. Heat oil and splutter mustard and urad dhal.
5. Add onion and saute till golden.
6. Add tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy.
7. Mean while, extract juice from soaked tamarind and add it to the mashed yam.
8. Add salt, turmeric and sambar powder.
9. Add the mixture to the sauteed onion and tomato.
10. Cook until the masiyal leaves oil.
11. Serve along with curd rice.
Sending this to Akila’s Dish Name Starts With K