1. Wash and soak basmathi rice for 20minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
2. Grind garlic and coriander leaves into a coarse mixture, without adding water.
3. Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Splutter fennel seeds.
4. Add finely chopped onions and saute till golden.
5. Add the garlic-coriander mixture and saute till the raw smell is gone.
6. Add grated beetroot and saute for a minute.
7. Add the rice and mix well.
8. Add water and bring it to boil. When 75% of the water is absorbed, add ghee and cover the pan and turn flame to low.
9. Heat a cast iron tawa on another stove.
10. When hot switch flame to low.
11. After 2 minutes on low flame, transfer the pan onto the tawa. Cover the pan with aluminium foil.
12. Let it stay for 10minutes. This step will ensure that the rice is nice and tender without sticking to the bottom.
13. Serve it hot with a raitha of your choice.
My daughter has become a great fan of Beetroot. Whenever I ask her to take this veggie, she used to refuse. But now, her ma’am has asked her not to avoid beetroot, she at once agreed. Yesterday, I prepared a stir fry and today I sent her this delicious rice in her lunch box. The preparation is very simple and it tastes great. Any raitha will go well together. This rice is slightly sweet because of the beetroot and the flavors are mild. Kids will surely love this.