While I was searching for a recipe using oat bran, I found this recipe at applepiepatispate.com. The ingredients interested me. It has only wheat flour and oat bran. This sounded very healthy and nutritious. So at once I started the preparation. We need three days to prepare this bread. First day went for Biga(pre ferment). The next day, soaker was prepared. the third day final dough was prepared and baked. My house was filled with a wonderful aroma and I couldn’t keep my hands off the bread as soon as it came out of oven. As I had to take pictures I controlled myself. The bread was super soft and delicious.
Biga is a kind of starter used in traditional Italian breads. In Italy, Biga is used to refer to sourdough sponges, collectives of wild yeast and other starters. Biga makes the bread lighter with moist crumbs. Soaker in bread is used when grains and seeds are involved in the preparation. The texture of the bread was great.
For the Biga:
Wheat Flour-1 3/4cups
For the Soaker:
Wheat Flour-1 1/3cup+1tbs
Flax seeds-1 1/2tbs
For The Final Dough:
Instant Yeast-2 1/4tsp
Extra wheat flour for dusting
1. Mix all the biga ingredients in a bowl.
2. Cover with wrap and keep it nin fridge for 1-3days.(I kept it for 2 days)
3. The next day mix all the ingredients for the soaker. Cover with cling wrap and let it sit on counter for 12-24 hours at room temperature.(I kept it for 24hours)
4. On the day of baking, remove biga from fridge and let it sit for 2 hours before using in the dough.
5. Divide biga into 12 equal parts.
6. Divide soaker into 12 parts.
7. In a bowl take all the ingredients given for the final dough and knead. The dough will be sticky.
8. Dust the counter with wheat flour, place the dough on it and knead it for 10 minutes.
9. Dust with flour whenever sticky and prepare a nice, smooth and elastic dough.
10. Apply oil on the dough, place in a bowl and cover with wrap. Allow it to rise for 45minutes.
11. Grease to loaf pans with oil. Punch down dough and divide into two.
12. Roll each part into a rectangle. Roll into a tight log and place inside the pan.
13. Brush the top with oil and top it with pumpkin seeds and oats bran.
14. Cover and let it rise for 45minutes.
15. Score the top with a sharp knife.
16. Preheat oven to 180C.
17. Bake the breads for 20minutes or until golden brown.
18. Remove and place on wire rack and let it cool for 10minutes.
19. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
|Biga after 2 days in fridge|
|Soaker after 24hours|
|Divide soaker and biga into pieces and place them in a bowl|
|Add all the remaining ingredients|
|Prepare a sticky dough|
|Knead for 10 minutes|
|After 45 minutes rise|
|Divide into two(mine were not equal because the size of the pans varied)|
|Roll into a rectangle|
|Roll it tight|
|Place in the pan|
|Top with oat bran and pumpkin seeds|
|After 45 minutes score the loaves|
|Bake till golden|
|Cool on wire rack|