Getti Aval/Poha/ Firm Rice Flakes-2cups
Tamarind (Puli)-Lemon sized ball
Turmeric Powder(Manjal Podi)-1/4tsp
Sambar Powder(sambar podi)-1tsp
Curry Leaves(Kariveppilai)-1 sprig
Peanuts(Nilakkadalai Paruppu)-a handful
Channa Dhal(Kadalai Paruppu)-2tbs
Brown Sugar(Vellam)-a small piece
1. Extract juice from tamarind using the 1 3/4cup water.
2. Mix in turmeric powder, sambar powder, sugar and salt.
3. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the raw smell of the tamarind vanishes.
4. Let it cool(the liquid should measure 1 1/2cups)
5. Take aval/rice flakes in a wide bowl. Pour water, wash it and drain water thoroughly.
6. Pour the cooled down tamarind water into the bowl and give a nice stir.
7. Leave it for 10minutes.
8. Stir it once again to spread the remaining water uniformly.
9. After 10 minutes the rice flakes will be puffed up using all the liquid.
10. Heat oil. Add peanuts and channa dhal and fry till golden brown.
11. Splutter mustard, urad dhal, curry leaves and asafoetida.
12. Add the prepared rice flakes and give it a nice stir.
13. Let it simmer for 1 minute.
14. Switch off flame and serve hot with chutney of your choice.
Sending this to Twist The Tradition-Pulihora by Satya
and Bookmarked Recipes by Priya and Aipi
Aval/ Poha/ Rice Flakes Puliodharai
Before marriage, when my mom prepares this, I used to relish it but never bothered to know the recipe. After marriage I completely forgot about this dish. But when twist the tradition was announced, I remembered this puliodharai. So I called my mom and asked for the recipe. It turned out the perfect. The flavour was enough to remind me of the days with mom and dad. Thank you mom for this wonderful recipe.