For the badusha:
Baking Soda-2 pinches
Oil-For deep frying
For the syrup:
Lime Juice-1 tsp
1. Melt butter and add oil,sugar, soda and curd.
2. Whisk to make it frothy.
3. Add the flour and mix it with a for. The resultant flour will be crumbly.
4. Add water to make it a soft dough. If needed add a little more water. Knead it for 10minutes to make it smooth.
5. Divide the dough into 9 equal balls.
6. Shape the badusha as shown in the tutorial.
7. Heat oil. When a small bit of dough is dropped, it should immediately come up. this is the perfect temperature.
8. Drop 4 or 5 badushas in oil.
9. Remove from flame. When the badushas start floating, keep the pan on medium flame and fry them till golden brown.
10. Meanwhile mix water and sugar and let it boil. When the syrup becomes sticky, add cardamom powder and lemon juice.Switch off flame. ( adding lemon juice avoids crystalization of sugar)
11. Add the hot badushas into the syrup. Let it be there for a minute.
12. Remove from syrup and arrange on a plate.
13. When finished with all badushas reheat the syrup. This time you need the syrup to have one string consistency.
14. There are so many methods of checking the consistency.
a. When dropped in water, it should not dissolve and lie as a thin thread.
b. When taken between thumb and fore finger, it should form a fine thread.
c. When you take it in a spoon and allow it to fall inside the vessel, it should hang as a thin thread.
I wanted to take some snaps, but as I was alone while preparing, I couldn’t get an exact picture.
15. Now dip the badushas 2 at a time into this syrup.
16. Place them on a greased plate. They will be sticky when hot. But on cooling the syrup becomes firm and it will not stick.
17. Store in an air tight container.
|Whisk melted butter with oil, sugar, soda and curd|
|Make it crumbly|
|Add water and prepare the dough|
|After kneading for 10minutes|
|Flatten a ball|
|At one end pinch the dough to make it more flat|
|Fold it over|
|Pinch the edge of the fold|
|Fold it over the first|
|Finished spiralling ( you will get it right after experience)|
|Drop in hot oil and remove from flame|
|Badushas will start floating|
|Fry on medium flame till golden brown|
|Dip in the first syrup|
|Arrange on a plate|
|After the second coating. I decorated it with sliced almonds|