This is my hubby’s favorite gravy which goes well with steamed rice. My MIL used to make this often. When she was there my hubby never expected me to prepare this. But as she is no more I have to take her place in preparing this yummy gravy. My hubby can do with this gravy for 2 days continuous without any break. So I try to prepare this once in a week to satisfy him. You can use either mochai payaru or thattam payaru. Each has its own flavour and both tastes good.
Mochai or Thattai payaru-1/2cup
Tamarind- a lemon sized ball (extract juice)
Sambar powder-1 1/2tsp
Mustard and urad dhal-1tsp
1. Roast payaru of your choice till it cracks. Add water and pressure cook till done. Strain it and keep it aside. I add the water used for cooking the payaru in the gravy without wasting it.
2. Grind coconut and one tomato into a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and splutter mustard, urad dhal and curry leaves.
4. Add onion and saute till golden brown.
5. Add brinjal, drumstick and tomatoes and saute till oil seperates.
6. Add coconut paste and tamarind extract to the veggies.
7. Add salt, sambar powder and turmeric powder and add enough water to pressure cook (you can add the water used in cooking the payaru at this stage)
8. Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
9. Serve hot with hot steamed rice and appalam.