Ven Pongal is a famous Tamil nadu breakfast menu usually had with sambhar, coconut chutney and medhu vadai. Made with basmati rice and moong dhal it tastes heavenly. It is full of cashew nuts, whole black pepper and cumin which makes the pongal spicy and delicious. Usually kids tend to remove all the black peppers before relishing. I have made a video demonstrating the making of ven pongal. Make sambar and chutney before making ven pongal as it takes only 10-15 minutes. Once done you can serve it hot with sambar and chutney. Whenever guests come home, I make sure to prepare Ven pongal once and also prefer to serve it with home made medhu vadas for a rich breakfast.
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
- Ponni raw rice/ Basmati Rice -2 cups
- Moong dhal-1/2 cup
- Cashew-20 broken to small pcs
- Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
- Ghee-3 tbs
- Black pepper-2 tbs
- Water-6 cups
- Mix rice and dhal, wash it and filter the water.
- Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Bring water to boil. Add salt.
- Add the rice and cook on medium flame until the rice has absorbed 90% of water.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan, add cashew. When it is golden brown add pepper. When it splutters add cumin and curry leaves.
- Add it to the rice, cover and cook on low flame for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot after 10 minutes with sambar and chutney.