This is a typical south indian dish prepared with tamarind. This stays good for two days so that one can use it as a picnic meal. My MIL prepares this often and is the fav of my dear hubby. There is another variety which my mom prepares using thokku. I will be posting that soon. That is also a hot fav among us. Puliodarai is also given as Prasadam in temples. This is also a perfect tiffin box menu for kids and hubby.
Tamarind-a lemon sized ball(extract juice-should measure 3/4cup)
Mustard and urad dhal-2tsp
Coconut-cut to small pieces
1. Cook rice and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil and add channa dhal. When golden add mustard, urad dhal, hing and curry leaves.
3. Add garlic and coconut. when garlic is cooked add red chilly.
4. Add tamarind extract and let it boil. When raw smell is gone add this to very hot cooked rice. Mix well.
5. Transfer to serving vessel and cover it for 15minutes before serving
6. The rice should be very hot so that it absorbs the juicy tamarind. Otherwise the rice will be mushy.