Since I started with my paleo diet, I have been looking for some easy snack recipes so that I could enjoy some crunchy snacks without feeling very guilty. So nowadays my pass time is to enjoy YouTube videos on healthy baking and cooking. I skip all those recipes like cake and bread. Even though made with the healthy ingredients, a cake is still a cake, and I don’t want to indulge myself in it until I achieve my goal weight. But when I came across seed crackers, I was so delighted. They are so easy to make and there are no rules and regulations. You can add any seed you want. You can opt only flax seeds for these crackers and still they would be great.
Posts tagged FLAX SEEDS
Makes 12 Muffins
Roasted Red Rice Flour / Samba Puttu Podi – 3/4 cup
Wheat Flour/ Atta-3/4 cup
If you are wondering what happened to my flax gel egg substitute and caramel syrup, then here is the result. A few days back I came across the gel made with flax seeds which can be used as egg substitute in recipes. As I am always interested in experimenting with various egg substitutes, I tried this one. When I posed about the preparation of flax gel I got mixed reviews. Some found it interesting while some found it lot of work for a single cake. But still here I am with the cake I made with the gel. Trying to replace eggs in the recipe is not cake walk. most of the times, the first try always goes to the bin or to the stray dogs in our street. This was no exception. My first cake turned out so soft and mushy inside but the outer rim was fluffy and nice.It lacked the texture of the cake and was like a gooey mess. But to my surprise, my daughter loved it. She couldn’t stop eating that cake as it had a wonderful flavour of caramel. I gave her all the pieces in the outer rim and she happily gobbled them. Bu the inner part went to our street dogs and they were happy too.
For this month’s Baking Eggless group challenge I selected a recipe from Reader’s Digest Baking With Love. Baking Eggless is a group of enthusiastic home bakers set out to find the perfect egg replacer. Every month a recipe is selected and the members try out various substitutes for the eggs in the recipe. Then we share our experiences on a reveal date. This butter cake is a cake to be served warm. A coating of butter and brown sugar along with cinnamon makes it fabulous. The cake turned out a bit crumbly but it tasted great. I used flax meal instead of eggs and I am very happy with the result.
While I was searching for a recipe using oat bran, I found this recipe at applepiepatispate.com. The ingredients interested me. It has only wheat flour and oat bran. This sounded very healthy and nutritious. So at once I started the preparation. We need three days to prepare this bread. First day went for Biga(pre ferment). The next day, soaker was prepared. the third day final dough was prepared and baked. My house was filled with a wonderful aroma and I couldn’t keep my hands off the bread as soon as it came out of oven. As I had to take pictures I controlled myself. The bread was super soft and delicious.
Instant Yeast/ Active Dry Yeast-1 1/4tsp
Flax Meal-1tbs(mixed with 3tbs warm water)
Cardamom Powder- 1/4tsp
1. Mix flax meal and warm water and set it aside for 15 minutes.
2. Mix butter, milk, sugar, flax meal and yeast. Add salt and stir well.
3. Mix flour and cardamom powder. Add the wet ingredients to the flour and knead into a soft dough.
4. Knead for 10minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
5. Oil a bowl, place the dough inside and rotate to coat the dough with oil.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and set it aside for 1hour.
7. Punch down dough and roll into a circle of 1/4″thickness.
8. Cut out the circles with a donut cutter or a bowl.
9. Transfer circles to a baking tray lined with foil and lightly greased.
10. Now cut out the inner circle. If you cut it on the counter, then the shape will be lost when transferring the donut to the tray. So cut the inner circle after placing it on the tray.
11. Cover with a clean cloth and let it rise for 45minutes.
12. Preheat oven to 180C.
13. Bake the donuts for 10-12minutes or until the top is golden brown.
14. Remove from oven, brush the top with ghee.
15. Mix sugar and cardamom powder in a plate.
16. After brushing with butter, place the donut upside down on the plate to coat the top with sugar.
17. Serve warm.
For many day I have been planning to prepare banana muffins. During my last visit to Coimbatore, I bought flax seed and flax meal( I don’t get any of these at Madurai). My mom bought a muffin tray for me. As I had all the ingredients, I prepared the muffins today. They are so spongy and moist. This is the first time I am using flax meal as the egg substitute. I was in doubt about the result. The muffins are so tasty and I couldn’t taste the flax seeds in the muffins. The muffins are so sweet and so next time I will be reducing the quantity of brown sugar. I will be serving these cute muffins for evening along with coffee.