Posts tagged BAKING EGGLESS
My daughter loved these peeps. These are sure to make kids happy. She took it to her school snacks, then again when she returned home, she had them. I should have made more peeps for my daughter.
For The Caramelized Pineapple Puree:
For The Cake:
Pineapple Puree-1 cup
For The Butter Cream:
Confectioner’s Sugar/ Icing Sugar- 2 cups
Vanilla Essence-1 tsp
Fresh Grated Coconut-1 cup
For The Pineapple Puree:
1. Remove skin and chop pineapple into small cubes.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, add the pineapple cubes, sugar and water, cover and cook on low flame for 30 minutes.
3. Now grind it to make a puree. If you want it caramelized as mine, then allow the sugar to change colour.
4. For that, rise flame to high and let the sugar turn golden brown. Remove from pan, cool and grind it.
Preparing The Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Grease and dust an 8″ round cake tin.
3. Cream together butter and sugar.
4. Add the pineapple puree and mix.
5. Add curd, essence and milk and whisk together until completely incorporated.
6. In another bowl, sieve together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
7. Add this to the pineapple butter mixture and mix gently.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes.
9. If the cake browns fast, place a foil on the tin. Placing the foil should be atleast 20 minutes after you place the cake in the oven.
10. When a tooth pick inserted comes out clean, remove from oven and place on counter and let it sit there for 10 minutes.
11. Now flip it onto a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
1. Beat butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. Add icing sugar at regular intervals and beat until creamy.
3. Now add milk and essence and beat until fluffy and creamy.
1. In a pan add the grated coconut and toast until slightly brown and aromatic.
2. I added a few drops of yellow food colour to it before toasting.
3. Let it cool.
Assembling The Cake:
1. Cut the cake into two equal parts.
2. Place one layer on the serving plate.
3. Add some butter cream on top and spread it with a spatula.
4. Sprinkle some toasted coconut on top and place the next layer on top.
5. Now cover the entire cake with butter cream and using a spatula smooth the frosting.
6. Now sprinkle generous amount of toasted coconut on top and the sides to completely cover it with coconut.
7. Allow it to set for an hour before slicing.
8. Slice it up, serve and Enjoy!!!
Recipe Source: Saveur
Makes 9 Pies
For The Pastry:
All Purpose Flour-1 cup
Shortening/ Vanaspathi-1/3 cup
Ice Cold Water- 3-4 tbs
For The Filling:
Soy Granules-1/4 cup
Carrot- 3 tbs (grated)
Capsicum-4 tbs (finely diced)
Crumbled Paneer-1/3 cup
Red chilly Powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder-1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves-3 tbs
For The Filling:
1. Heat oil and add onions and grated garlic.
2. Saute until golden.
3. Add finely chopped tomatoes, carrot and capsicum.
4. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Bring soy granules in a pot of water to boil. Allow it to cool.
6. Squeeze out the cooked granules and add it to the pan.
7. Add red chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.
8. Cover and cook until done.
9. Finally add crumbled paneer and coriander leaves, saute for a minute and remove from flame.
10. Allow it to cool down completely.
For The Pastry:
1. Mix salt and flour in a bowl.
2. Add the shortening and mic with the fingers to cut the shortening into the flour. Do not knead.
3. When the flour resembles large crumbs, add ice cold water little by little until the flour comes together to a crumbly dough.
4. Divide it into two portions one larger than the other.
5. Roll out the larger portion and cut 3″ circles out of the disc.
6. Grease tiny pie tins and line them with the circles. Press against the edges to remove the extra dough.
7. Fill the pastry tins with 1 tbs of filling.
8. Roll out the other portion and cut out smaller circles to fit the top of the pastry tins.
9. Place the smaller circles on top of the filled pastry shells and press the edges with a fork to close the opening.
10. Preheat oven to 200C.
11. Arrange the tins on a tray and bake until golden. It may take nearly 30 minutes to bake.
12. Remove from the tins and serve while still hot.
There are some important points to be remembered to get a flaky pastry. While mixing the flour and shortening, it should be crumbly and the pieces of flour must be big. Do not mix to finer crumbs. And use ice cold water to bring the dough together. The dough should be crumbly and must be just holding together. We are not looking for a soft and elastic dough. Then roll the dough and cut out the size to line the pastry tins. This way you will get a nice flaky and crispy pastry.
Recipe Source: Technicolor Kitchen
Makes 18 regular muffins
Wheat Flour-1 cup
All Purpose Flour-1 cup
Baking Powder-2 tsp
Baking Soda-1/4 tsp
Yogurt/ Curd-1 cup
Caster Sugar-2/3 cup
Butter-1/2 cup (melted)
1. In a bowl add flours, baking powder,baking soda and sugar.
2. Melt butter and let it cool to room temperature.
3. Add curd, milk and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
4. Add the flour mixture and fold in to incorporate. Do not over beat the batter, otherwise the muffins will become hard.
5. Mix jam and vinegar to loosen the jam.
6. Add it to the batter and swirl it into the batter.
7. You should be able to see the lines of jam in the batter.
8. Grease a muffin tray and scoop out the batter into the muffin moulds.
9. Preheat oven to 180C.
10. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
11. Serve it warm and enjoy..
I had all the step wise pictures for this post but unfortunately my system crashed and all the photos are gone. If I am lucky I may get back the snaps. If I get them then I will update my post with all the photos. This one photo was saved as I had uploaded it to my FB.
And here are the step wise pictures as promised as I was able to retrieve the snaps..
This month’s Baking Eggless challenge was quite interesting and it went for deep frying instaed of baking. Yes we made donuts this time. Some members even baked the donuts for a guilt free version. All the entries look amazing and I am really very happy to see these beautiful donuts in the round up. Hope you all have fun.