Here is the second bread for this week’s cooking carnival. I wanted to have the bread theme for the second week, but as I had to post a bread recipe today for the Bread Baker’s challenge, I shifted the theme for this week and preponed the chat series a week earlier. I have three sandwich loaves and three roll recipes. And some are 100% maida and some are made with 100% whole wheat flour. The gyan of using whole wheat flour for my breads came to me late. I love to use all purpose flour in breads as the resulting texture is awesome. Though I have tried whole wheat breads I haven’t made it a habit of making every bread whole wheat. But this month, I changed it. I baked so many whole wheat breads. In some recipes I loved the earthly taste of the wheat flour and in some, I didn’t like it at all. Especially I feel that wheat flour doesn’t work in sweet breads. Even now, I love flour based breads than the whole wheat ones. But for health reasons, I will try to avoid using all purpose flour. Sruti doesn’t like whole wheat flour and so only me and hubby relished the breads.
This month, the bread bakers challenge host Kylee of Kylee Cooks wanted us to make bread with pumpkin or pumpkin spice.As I was doing breads with yeast this week, I searched for a recipe to go with the theme and I found one in King Arthur Flour site. The bread was made with all purpose flour and it had an amazing texture. I tried the same recipe with wheat flour. The bread was like a cross between quick bread and yeast bread. The pumpkin and the wheat flour gave an earthly flavour and the bread was slightly on the denser side. But it worked great for toast. I added some cheese spread on the toasted sliced and loved it. It is also a bit heavy. Just one slice makes you feel full.
One problem I face with whole wheat breads is the rustic crust. With all purpose flour the crust comes out so shiny and smooth but look at this crust. I think it is because of the low gluten of the whole wheat flour. Next time let me try adding vital wheat gluten and see how it changes the crust. This recipe is very easy. Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to form dough. The only other preparation was the pumpkin puree. If you can get ready made puree, then it is even more easier. Other wise buy some pumpkin wedges, bake them in oven until soft, remove the flesh and grind to a fine puree and use.
Recipe Source: King Arthur Flour
Whole Wheat Flour – 3 1/4 cups
Instant Yeast – 1 tbs
Milk Powder – 2 tbs + Water – 1/2 cup or sub with Milk – 1/2 cup
Pumpkin Puree – 3/4 cup
Oil – 1 tbs
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Salt – 1 1/4 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
In a bowl mix together all the ingredients and knead to form a soft dough.
Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Cover with cling film and set aside for one hour.
Remove the dough and press to release air.
Shape into a thin rectangle.
Starting from the smaller side, roll the dough into a log.
For every roll pinch the dough to seal.
Once the roll is complete, pinch the ends.
Place it seam side down in a loaf tin and cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
By the time the dough is proving, preheat oven to 200°C.
Apply milk wash on top of the loaf and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
Remove from oven and flip it onto a wire rack.
Allow it to cool completely before slicing it.
Breads with Pumpkin/Pumpkin Spice
- Almost Vegan Chocolate and Pumpkin Loaf Cake by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Brown Butter & Pumpkin Seed Scones by Food Above Gold
- Cinnamon Pumpkin Quick Bread by Food Lust People Love
- Cinnamon Spice Pumpkin Bread with Walnuts and a Trio of Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hearty Whole Wheat Bread with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Italian Pumpkin Bread by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Lal Bhoplyachya Gharge by Sneha’s Recipe
- Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread by Plated Cravings
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl by A Baker’s House
- Pumpkin Cardamom Buns by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Pumpkin Chocolate Babka by House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Cornbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling by Cook’s Hideout
- Pumpkin Pepita Muffin Tops by A Salad For All Seasons
- Pumpkin Pie Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls by Kylee Cooks
- Pumpkin Raisin Scones by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Ricotta Pull Apart Buns by Food Smart Mom
- Pumpkin Sour Cherry Sourdough Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Spice Ale Soft Pretzels by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Spice Raisin Bread with Kinako by What Smells So Good?
- Pumpkin Spice Swirl Quickbread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Multigrain Pumpkin Bread by Herbivore Cucina
- Two Tone Pumpkin Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sandwich Loaf by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Yeasted Pumpkin Bread by Veena’s Vegnation
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org
[inlinkz_linkup id=648406 mode=1]