If you are a regular reader, you must be familiar with the Recipe Request page I have started a few months back. I thought that if I can fulfill some of my reader’s wishes for recipes, I would be really happy. I have been getting so many requests and some just need a link to my previous post whereas some ask for recipes which I am not at all familiar with. So I usually search for that types of recipes and try to make it at home. Then when I post it with the step wise instructions, my reader’s wish is fulfilled. SOme posts take even a month or two to try. But when I got a request yesterday about magic bars, I was so curious. I searched the web and came to know about these esay to make rich cookie bars. I couldn’t wait and so I tried it today and was so surprised how such a simple recipe can be so addictive.
The name magic bars is apt for thses cookies. These are the easiest of all cookies I have done till upto date. 7 ingredients are layered one upon other and baked to get these cookies. The only binding ingredient is the condensed milk which brings all the ingredients together. Among the seven ingredients butter scotch chips are optional. Even if you omit them the bars would turn out delicious but the chips add a new flavour to the bar. And as for nuts, you can choose to use any type of nut you want. I combined pistachios, almonds and cashews. You can just simply add any nut you have in your pantry. These cookies are are both crunchy and gooey at the same time. The butter and biscuits crumbs form a firm base like a pie base and the coconut adds to the crunch. In between all the nuts and chips make the gooey layer.
I am so happy that I tried it today. It has been so many days since I made a nice snack for Sruti. Today when I gave hubby a bar, I was expecting a negative feed back as it had choco chips. But hubby liked it very much and was wondering how coconut flavour can supress the flavour of chocolate. And Sruti also liked it very much. I found it so hard to stop at one piece but I had to stop. Try it yourself and see the magic happen.
Butter-1/2 cup, melted
Marie Biscuits, crushed – 1 1/2 cups
Almonds – 1/3 cup, chopped
Pistachios – 1/3 cup, chopped
Cashewnuts – 1/3 cup, chopped
Semi Sweet Choco Chips-1 cup
Butterscotch Nuts-1 cup
Grated Coconut-1 1/2 cups
Sweetened Condensed Milk- 1 tin / 400 gm
Preheat oven to 175°C.
Line a 9″ * 13″ baking tray wih butter paper.
Melt butter and pour it on the tray and let it spread evenly.
Sprinkle the crushed biscuits evenly over the butter.
Now spread the chopped nuts evenly on the biscuit layer.
Spread the butterscotch chips on the nuts.
Spread the choco chips on the butterscotch nuts.
Now cover the entire surface with grated coconut.
Pour the condensed milk evenly on the coconut.
Bake this in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely in the tray itself.
Remove the paper from the tray on to the counter.
Slice off the uneven edges.
Now make square slices with the help of a large bread knife.
Store in an air tight jar.
Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Butter-1/2 cup, melted
- Marie Biscuits, crushed - 1 1/2 cups
- Almonds - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Pistachios - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Cashewnuts - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Semi Sweet Choco Chips-1 cup
- Butterscotch Nuts-1 cup
- Grated Coconut-1 1/2 cups
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- 1 tin / 400 gm
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Line a 9" * 13" baking tray wih butter paper.
- Melt butter and pour it on the tray and let it spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the crushed biscuits evenly over the butter.
- Now spread the chopped nuts evenly on the biscuit layer.
- Spread the butterscotch chips on the nuts.
- Spread the choco chips on the butterscotch nuts.
- Now cover the entire surface with grated coconut.
- Pour the condensed milk evenly on the coconut.
- Bake this in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely in the tray itself.
- Remove the paper from the tray on to the counter.
- Slice off the uneven edges.
- Now make square slices with the help of a large bread knife.
- Store in an air tight jar.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.